Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat intolerance and sleep troubles.

Hey all,

Just wondering. I've been experiencing trouble sleeping when i get too warm. It affects my breathing at night I think. If I get too warm when i'm sleeping i don't sleep well at all. Tossing and turning and waking up and i think its also causing trouble breathing. I also experience "hug" symptoms during waking hours if i get too warm.

Just wonder what you're experiences are with this.

Sending healing thoughts your way

~QStonr

I think that most people have trouble sleeping with heat but MS just exacerbates the issues for most of us.
    DX RRMS 4/22/11

Comment

this is something that I would detrimentally discuss with your doctor. Breathing issues are nothing to mess around with. It could be the MS hug but then again it could be something different. Good luck
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I've noticed the past two years that heat is affecting me more and more. Last summer, after six miserable weeks, I finally told my husband I needed air conditioning and it was not negotiable. We had it put in in October, so this summer I'm prepared. I live in the high mountains of Montana, and I consider this ridiculous. However, our summers are getting hotter with higher and higher humidity. I might need to alter my sleeping arrangements, but I WILL sleep!

Comment

I agree with Hunterd...call your neuro. They can order a sleep study that should really tell you what's going on with any issues you're having when your sleeping. MS can affect your respiration, but so can other health issues.

Hope you get some answers.

Comment

I live in an extremely hot climate and heat means no sleep. Just getting an air conditioner does not always solve the problem because there is radiant hat coming from the walls and the bed.

I have a 12,000btu AC in my bedroom that can be set as low as 60deg. Most wall air conditioners don't cool any lower than 66deg. I also have a giant box fan water cooler to moisten the air. We don't have humidity here only dry dry dry.

My next step is to get a mattress cooling system. They have one where water circulated through tubing in the mattress. People say they need less air conditioning and sleep much better.

If those things don't work I'll get an industrial size freezer and set my bed up in there. Might need an electric blanket but aaaaah th I cool again!

BEING COOL IS EVERYTHING WHEN IT COMES TO SLEEP.

Comment

Me too

I have almost the same symptms , I get more shakes at night when I relax in bed and sometimes I have trouble breathing it makes me gasp.. not every night although.
              This heat (above 85) really gets me too after a few minutes I have to go into the air conditioning.( I keep it at 74)

Comment

I agree with the others that suggest you seek proper medical attention.

I live in central Texas and we have 3 seasons; pre-summer, summer and post-summer. When my body is overheated I simply cannot sleep and feel miserable.

Our house has central AC, but I also have an industrial fan blowing and a personal AC next to our bed for rough nights.
                A cold shower may help. If you don't have time for a shower try running cold water over your wrists. There are times when I still need to break out the ice packs and actively drop my body temperature.

I hope you get good news from your doctor ^

Comment

Cold water bottle

I get especially hot sometimes due to summer heat and menopause. I find that a rubber water bottle filed with cold water can be quite soothing. (especially when my feet get pins and needles when I am both tired and hot!)

Comment

Ice pack

I like to throw an ice pack in my pillow when it gets hot where I am at. TBH I think that keeping your head cool keeps the rest of your body temp low.

Comment

qstonr, try two small fans each blowing in a

different direction so a breeze is always on your body. It really cools you down.

Comment

a/c verboten

My wife has stated frequently, and vociferously, that she hates air conditioning. So that leaves me here... on one of the hottest nights of the summer so far, unable to sleep. Sitting here, sweating, drinking a fairly stiff Manhatten, and wondering when it all will end.
                        RRMS: dx:March '07. Started CombiRx June 2007 - Avonex or Copaxone or Both; Study unblinded Nov.2011 - have been on only Copaxone.
                        "e lascia pur grattar dov'e la rogna" (Dante "Divine Comedy")

Comment

Working...
                        X