No announcement yet.

Living alone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What part of town are you in? Maybe I can stop by and say hi. I work at the Johnson Space Center (NASA). MS since 1988.

Tom
    "Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
    - Voltaire

Comment

Hi Tom

I'm in Jersey Village. Clear across town.

It's amazing....I meet two women here that have daughters with MS. Every where I look there seems to be ms.

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
        Here in Australia, there's something called YoungCare. They run nursing homes for young people. There aren't many of these places (maybe four in the whole country) but they don't sound too bad, if you can afford to get in.

I don't know whether there's anything similar in the US.
        Unfortunately, I have had to start looking at assisted-living facilities, disability housing, etc. What you describe would be exactly what I'm looking for. I'm only 51 and do not want to hang out with 70 year old's. I have found no such facilities as of yet for the "young & disabled".

Why was the OP denied by Medicaid? The median cost of Nursing Home care in the US is about $85,000 for semi-private, $95,000 for private room.
        Assisted living about $42,000. In-Home Care (40 hrs. week) about $50,000. These are annual amounts. I'm fine until I need Nursing Home care. At that point I'm signing my disability checks to the Home and Medicaid picks up the rest. The good news is I can afford "luxury" assisted living...very nice actually. In the US, only the wealthy can foot their own bill for 24 hr. care.

Comment

My only worry with YoungCare is most people there don't have physical disabilities, but have Downs or other mental handicaps.

Yes, I know this is wrong/ prejudiced/just plain awful, but...

My brain is still working, up to a point. My current hotror is winding up in the high-care unit at the old people's home, which is where you have to go if you're physically stiffed.

High-care equals dementia. It's too awful to contemplate.

Comment

Until the United States joins the rest of the CIVILIZED world and makes health care a right instead of a privilege, the stories about people being basically left to their own devices, with little or no hope,will continue

Comment

Working...
            X