Guidance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guidance?

I pretty sure I am in a flair because my right leg won't hold me up. I feel paralyzed when I try to walk. I know I need to go to see my neuro but I don't know how to get there if I can't walk.

How do others handle this? Do you rent a wheelchair? I'm so scared because this is the first time my symptoms have gotten this bad.

I would be most grateful for any advice.

call

Call the neuro's office.

Many neuros can call in orders for steroids that can be done at home. That is up to your neuro.

If it is that bad, maybe you need to go by squad to the emergency room. Your neuro can help with that decision, too.

Your local NMSS office may have a w/c in a loan closet. Check with them.

Good luck and prayers for you.
    God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

This is exactly how my flairs have gone. My right leg just up and quits on me Typically, I will regain some strength after a day in bed or off my feet, so I usually start there if I can. If I have to work, I have a series of braces that I purchased at Walgreens that will usually get my leg solid enough that I can limp. I have a lace-up ankle brace and a slide-on knee brace.

I will, during the flairs, have trouble driving because I can't be terribly even with the accelerator, so I usually get rides to work during those times. I've only had two flairs, the first I got most strength back within two weeks and recovered within a month, no steroids (not diagnosed, thought I hurt my back). The second time it happened, I wore the braces for two days, got most strength back within a week, and back to normal in two weeks. I still wasn't diagnosed, still thought I'd hurt my back, so no steroids then either.

You might try the brace method if you feel like you're strong enough to balance yourself with your other leg. I am asymptomatic other than that leg weirdness during the flairs, so I don't have any other MS factors working against me. But if your balance isn't going to hold you, definitely borrow a wheelchair, as suggested.

I was worried at my job that people would ask why I was limping, but only a few did, and I just responded that I had a compressed disc. No one asked beyond that. Just in case you work and don't want to share your diagnosis with the world.

Comment

IMHO, Neuros don't do enough to prepare their patients for this. Most of us end up learning by experience.

The leg brace sounds like a good idea. I have used arm crutches in the past with one good leg. Not the easiest way to get around, but it got me to where I needed to be.

I bought a walking stick before I actually needed one and now I have two. One in the house, the other in the car. Flares come on quick. I use my walking sticks a lot.

I hope by now you have gotten your first IVSM done, and here is hoping to keeping this flare a short one.
        Katie
        "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
        "My MS is a Journey for One."
        Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
        X