Normal tension glaucoma?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Normal tension glaucoma?

Any out there with normal tension glaucoma? I have heard that it can be an indication of MS and wondering whether any of you have been diagnosed with this condition.

Originally posted by cvmom View Post
    I have heard that it can be an indication of MS
    That's interesting. Where did you hear that? My neuro-ophthalmologist told me that people with MS are being mistakenly diagnosed with glaucoma because the OCT test shows that they have thinning of the nerve fiber layer in the eye. He said that the same thing happens in glaucoma but the thinning from MS and the thinning from glaucoma have different causes. He said that glaucoma of all kinds isn't related to MS. Even though optic nerves after many episodes of optic neuritis from MS can sometimes look like optic nerves with glaucoma there so far isn't any relation known between the two. That's what he said.

Comment

Thanks for your response! Quite a while ago I read an article on the American Academy of Opthalmology website; after reading your post I went back to the article and realized I had not remembered it correctly.

In fact it said that if the visual field was affected without a commensurate amount of optic nerve damage, the cause could be optic neuropathy due to MS, rather than glaucoma.

The article also stated that if so-called normal tension glaucoma occurs in a patient under age 60, that should arouse suspicion that something else is going on. (Mine was diagnosed at age 50, as it happens.) I get a field vision and OCT test every 6 months and take Xalatan drops daily. I've also had cataract surgery in both eyes.

Do you have the thinning caused by MS, or glaucoma? What were the symptoms that prompted your referral to a neuro-opthalmologist?

Thanks again for your post, very helpful.

Comment

Hi cvmom,

There are different types of Glaucoma. The cause for normal tension Glaucoma is unknown. MS is not known for causing Cataracts or Glaucoma.

Steroids, which are used in the treatment of MS and other conditions, can cause steroid induced Cataracts and Glaucoma.

Information about Glaucoma:
        http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gla...SECTION=causes
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thank you, Snoopy, for the link. I didn't know that steroids could induce cataracts and glaucoma. Yet another thing I have learned here.

These forums are such a great source of information and support - thanks to everyone who takes the time to respond!

Comment

I agree with the first post 100%. I have many years in the optometry and ophthalmology field and too have NFL loss in my right eye due to an optic neuritis many years ago. I say as long as your visual fields are not changing then it is likely that you do not have normal tension glaucoma. Again, I am only an awesome technician who has seen the same test results in my own special testing. Good luck.
            Chris
            Dx 3/11/13
            Copaxone 5/23/13

Comment

Working...
            X