No announcement yet.

Chest Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sjpaddock; "referred pain" seems to be what sticks in my mind. As, already said, 'female' problems (even from the abdomen/GI) CAN radiate to the area, you are speaking of and cause, that 'intense' type of pain. Or even, the spleen.

Does the pain, 'take your breath away?' Are you Short of Breath with it? Or, any activity?

Before, I'd dismiss this to MS and the 'hug,' I think you might want to rule out, those issues, as well.

On the comfort side: I've had a similar issue. On my 4th visit to an ER for it, the ER M.D. said it was, "Auto-Immune disease" 'chest tightness.' Which was, ultimately..MS Hug.

I just kept going back, until all the testing was finished, the heart was ruled out and I became symptomatic, while at the hospital, getting an MRI. Which, ultimately, settled the issue. It was nice to KNOW for sure!

U Still need an echo? Have you had a Holter Moniter?

If the pain stops for a few days and 're-starts,' you may consider 'going to the ER,' at the onset of the pain, For peace of mind. The ER doc is like a multi-level trained M.D. and can order tests, asap and rule out, other things.

Maybe, the ER doc can, "steer" your other 'puzzled' docs, in the correct direction. And rule out, some other things. Plus, getting an EKG (in the ER) when the symptoms start or relatively close to onset, might be helpful. If, you don't live too far from it.

The EKG may or may not show some ischemic changes...to some degree; which can and often will, correct itself, for a 'scheduled' EKG. Have you had a Holter Moniter?

The vasovagal nerve/reflex, might make you feel a bit faint. And the reason, as said, as to 'why' you feel/hear it. Does your blood pressure and/or pulse change with the onset of the pain?

I am not sure what your age is, but if you are in the mid '50's, or near post-menopausal...the primary concern is, your heart.

Like everyone else: Rather surprised you are taking NSAIDS with a history of ulcers. Sometimes, we have to take, what works and weigh the risks.

I am not sure, I'd let them poke me with some needles, until, they rule out ALL the medical reasons. The injections can (as you'd prefer--dull the pain) and perhaps lead to masking symptoms, you are concerned about.

Is that pain worse with activity? Worse after having lifted more, than normal? Changes in your routines..causing unusual lifting of things? Recent flu/cough? I Sort of like the ER for something that 'might' be your heart. Always nice, to get another set of trained eyes, checking you out.

WHY are you not sleeping? Have you had sleep studies?

fed
    sorry for so many questions, just know, they might be 'relevant.'

Comment

Chest pain can be the MS Hug. It can go that high. It can be caused by a lesion on the spine (Have you had an MRI of the spine?). IMO it could also be caused by inflammation around the spinal nerves that wouldn't necessarily be found in an MRI.

I've had Chest Pain every day for almost four years. It was intolerable at first, waking me constantly during the night, every night. It has over time, diminished so that I only get it in the morning. I am on a gluten-free diet now, hoping that will reduce the inflammation since my doc says I'm Celiac.

Comment

Sheila, I do not have any lesions on my spine and no celiac but thanks for the suggestions.

Fed Up, okay I am 50 years young. Yes, occasionally the pain takes my breath away and not sure if it is just the pain that makes me short of breath or not. I had my yearly female ultrasound in December and it was clear. Do you think I should mention the chest pain to my gyn? I have not had an echo or worn a holter monitor. I will ask about those. I worry that since I have had so many normal ekg's the doctor will say not necessary.

The pain never stops or goes away. It does lesson in severity at times but never goes below a 4 out of 10. No changes in my routine. No flu or cough.

Which drug am I on is a NSAID? Curious. I am having difficulty sleeping because of the pain and the strong sound of my heart beating.

I am worried about making too many trips to the ER. I already feel like people think I am crazy. If I keep going to the ER I am afraid they will lock me up. I just saw my neuro and he is convinced it is some kind of arthritis even though the pain doctor ruled that out with a bone scan.

I was on Gilenya for two and a half weeks but stopped last Saturday. The pain started March 3 long before I started Gilenya.

Thanks for your help!
        I may have MS but MS does not have me!

Comment

NSAID=Diclofenace..stronger than Motrin, is slow release

Jan
          I believe in miracles~!
          2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
          Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

sjpaddock; What about lifting things? The reason I am asking is: It may be "possible" and this is rather rare, that something is leaking and causing that pain, if it is, that extreme. There are a few things, other than heart, that can cause that kind of pain, as well. Heart remains #1.

Think long and hard on this. It is a very important question. Did you lift anything, prior to the date of the onset of pain. Even if, it was 3 mos. before? Did the act of "lifting' anything, give you any reason for 'pause.'

Often, we notice these things and shrug it off. Not difficulty lifting something, more like, a sudden sharp feeling, persistent aching that progressed? And seems to list and wane? Not so constant, but never completely goes away?

The pain you are describing, can be something physical and it can be, the "MS Hug," as well. Most of all, you don't want to dismiss it; especially if, it is that annoying.

I would call and ask about the sonogram. Follow that up. Ask the doc, 'if there is anything that could cause referred pain, to your chest.' It is an extremely valid question. Often though, those issues can be painful with a good physical exam. Which, again, maybe why that has not been an issue.

If you've had that many EKG's, if your heart has some re-occurring ischemia, it would show on, the holter. Did you see a cardiologist? Because you aren't having clearly defined events, is more reason to do a recording of your heart, while you are experiencing your severe pain.

In all likelihood, it is a MS Hug, but everything else, has not been, entirely ruled out. I sure hate how this stuff takes so much, more time, with MS and our deteriorating medical care systems.

If you are worried of going to the ER too many times, don't. If your local Fire Dept. has paramedics and it doesn't cost you, an arm and a leg, you can call them. After they hook you to a monitor, they can tell you IF anything is different or appears recent. If not, refuse transport. That avoids the ER.

We WILL be resorting to that, as this medical care system gets overwhelmed. I can assure you, IF there is a life threatening issue, the paramedics will 'nag' you to go to the ER. Not simply advise you.

I wouldn't do it more than once, though. But, that would get you around a holter monitor and give more, immediate~peace of mind. And, the day may come, we need to USE our paramedics, in this fashion..as we enter into: IN and Out and Do It Yourself..medicine.

When I first had chest pain, I was shopping and indeed called the paramedics. I saw nothing that indicated something immediate and let it pass.

Again, I question the use of NSAIDS and it might be a 'cause,' and should not be dismissed. However, you probably know the difference, with that type of pain? NSAIDS and yet, no arthritis? fed

Comment

Yes, I saw a cardiologist almost two weeks ago and he put me on the nitro. The NAIDS?, I have only been on for a few weeks. I was given that drug by a pain doc.

I don't recall lifting anything when the pain started. I do remember that that night when I got into bed, I noticed it and the sound of my heart beating. We live out in the country so if I call the paramedics, it will cost me a great deal of money. I see the cardiologist in a couple of weeks and plan to request the echo and the Holter. What was the other test? I can look back at your other posts. My memory is not the best.

Comment

A sleep study. There must be a reason, you aren't sleeping. When we don't sleep well, our symptoms are magnified and slowly compound. It does affect all our aches and pains.

Anything: like tissue, fluid or air, that is not suppose to be in the area of your pain, can cause pain, similar to yours. You aren't fitting the profile for a leak, though.

Have you seen your GI doc? With the NSAIDS, you need to. It is extremely rare an MD gives NSAIDS to a person with a history of ulcers--because they cause ulcers. And a little 'leak,' might cause upper chest discomfort.

It is not unheard of, to have a NSAID with that history. Just makes one think, harder that the NSAID is causing a 'leak' and the pain. Be careful for signs of a returning ulcer.

Regardless, you will most likely have to figure that out with the GI Doc and he will probably place you on more medication and at the least, keep an eye on you.

Anxious to hear of the results, once you've been to the cardiologist. fed up

Comment

Yes, I have been to the GI doc. He has me on Protanix. I had no symptoms with the ulcer which has healed.

What type of Leak are you referring to?

Comment

And, I cannot sleep due to the pain.

Comment

(I'm a newbie and not an expert, so please be gentle!)

I've had some issues with pain in the chest area and I'm pretty regularly checked for anything heart and liver related because I take Gilenya. I just wanted to make 2 comments about it.

First: I use a cane and a walker at home and the renovations of the bathrooms lifting the toilet seats aren't done yet. The pain was from using my upper body, especially my chest and arms, to stand up from a sitting position and to keep my balance with the walker. It's part muscular and part joint stress. If you're using a cane, you might be putting stress on your upper body you don't even realize you are.

I gained weight the first couple months on Gilenya, but have since been successful at losing it. (as long as I don't have a chocolate stress attack!)

Of course symptoms and medication are different for everyone, but that's been my experience. Gilenya's been a miracle drug for me; I haven't have fatigue or brain fog for almost 2 years and latest tests show improvement in liver, still good on heart and no new lesions in a year (Next MRI in the fall). For that if they'd told me I had to keep the extra 20 pounds I'd have said okay! Fortunately, I'm back to where I started and losing more again.

-Nani
                      -Nani
                      dx 6/2011
                      First symptom 4/1996

Comment

Chest pain

Originally posted by sjpaddock View Post
                        Has anyone experienced chest pain? I have had it for 3 months. Every test has been negative so far and yet the pain persists! I am wondering if this is a new MS symptom. PLEASE someone reply. I am at the end of my rope!
                        I too have had chest pain caused by my MS. I have cardiac problems so I was put into the hospital as a precaution, thinking it may be that. After testing and nothing else wrong, my neuro put me on solumdrol and that helped. The same thing happened to a friend also.

Comment

I doubt it is from my cane since I have used one for almost 8 years. I too gained weight on Gilenya but the pain started two and half months before I started it. I have since gone off and have lost almost 5 lbs.

I have had two rounds of salumedrol with no relief.

Comment

Since there was some relief w/ the valium couldn't it still be the ms hug? I am just saying because the ms hug does pull on the breast bone (sternum). When I have the ms hug the valium and other similar meds give a little relief but does not get rid of it. I noticed placing an ice pack on up and down on the breast bone and on the back helps relieve it better than other things I have tried. I felt as though I was having a heart attack. Just a thought/recommendation.

How is your blood pressure? I know when I was having chest not related to the ms hug all my tests came back normal then I went to another doc and she said my bp was up (because of the pain and fatigue) and she called my cardiologist and they put me on a beta blocker (atenolol). This helped. I only use it when I need it which is several times a month. Maybe you should monitor your bp and if it is higher then present your findings to the doc.

Good luck!
                            ~Brittan~ Over 15 years w/ symptoms & Recently diagnosed w/ Chiari 1 Malformation - it has a lot of similar symptoms to MS. Easy to dx by MRI. See videos CM info - how to dx via MRI: https://youtu.be/I0f9e3pU6to CM symptoms: https://youtu.be/YyF3HVgHpCs FB group: Chiari Is For Real

Comment

Thanks Britton. The valium does not take the pain away. Just makes me drousy enough to sleep. I have not taken it in over a month. I have tried ice on my breastbone and back with no relief. My BP is usually very low, like 115/40. The other day it went up to 140/85 at my neuro appt. The nurse did not think anything of it.

Thanks for the post!

Comment

Originally posted by sjpaddock View Post
                                Thanks Britton. The valium does not take the pain away. Just makes me drousy enough to sleep. I have not taken it in over a month. I have tried ice on my breastbone and back with no relief. My BP is usually very low, like 115/40. The other day it went up to 140/85 at my neuro appt. The nurse did not think anything of it.

Thanks for the post!
                                I would still point out to them that what your normal bp is because if your body is use to a lower bp and it is up it may still be causing the chest pain. Your body is not use to the increase in pressure which therefore causes the cp.

My bp is normally 110/70 and when they discovered mine was high 167/90 they were freaking out. I feel more secure knowing I have the beta blocker just in case but I only use it when it spikes due to pain.

If they do prescribe something like this I would think you'd have to monitor your bp to ensure it his still elevated prior to taking it or it may go to low. This is what I do. I would def bring the difference up to the cardiologist.

Good luck.
                                ~Brittan~ Over 15 years w/ symptoms & Recently diagnosed w/ Chiari 1 Malformation - it has a lot of similar symptoms to MS. Easy to dx by MRI. See videos CM info - how to dx via MRI: https://youtu.be/I0f9e3pU6to CM symptoms: https://youtu.be/YyF3HVgHpCs FB group: Chiari Is For Real

Comment

Working...
                                X