Is it normal to have symptoms wax and wane a lot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it normal to have symptoms wax and wane a lot

From day to day, hour to hour? Like hardly being able to walk one day and walking reasonably well another day?

Vision terribly blurry at one moment of the day, quite a bit better at another time of day?

The huge variation is a bit hard to take and is driving my husband nuts too. I never can predict how I will feel from hour to hour or what I will be capable of.

Anyone else struggle with this?

Yes, and Welcome to life with MS

It is possible to learn to live with the good/bad days, ups/downs of MS and still live a fairly normal life
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Yes, Lorrie and I'm sure there are lots others here living this way! After 24 years of MS sx, I've never fully figured this one out; nor has my current husband of 20 years and it is most frustrating. But, I have learned (and still learning - sometimes the hard way!) to pace myself - even during the good days (or moments) And I prioritize what's most important. If I do too much when I am feeling really good, I pay for it.

My husband has always liked to "map" out our weekends, but living with me, he has had to learn to be more flexible - me too! There is a lot of acceptance involved too.

I hope you will be seeing better and more even days ahead.
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I'm like that. I'm always at my absolute worst in the afternoon and early evening, but usually feel awesome in the morning and nighttime.

I can feel great one day and like crap the next.

I [I]do[I] have relapses that last longer - like a week or a month, but I'm mostly on a day to day roller coaster.
        Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

All the time. It's frustrating.

The best advice I have received from someone here: manage your energy. If you wake up feeling good -- rest. Plan your major activity in the later afternoon/evening.

I was waking up, feeling great, and trying to catch up on what I was behind on/exercise/do physio, etc. By lunch time I was toast :-P.

This way, by the time your symptoms worsen, you're not too far from bed.

The days I ignore her advice are my bad days .

Comment

Thank you all so much! This MS stuff isn't very much fun, is it?

I especially hate the vision problems. Oh, well. Hoping for a cure some day.

Thank you everyone for letting me know what is normal with MS.

I've read some books on MS but I still seem to have questions and I am so grateful to you guys for helping to answer them! Thank you!

Comment

Working...
            X