Bruise Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bruise Recommendations

Everyone I know seems to think this is funny, but I have a feeling most of you can sympathize, so I figured I'd ask for advice. My gait is a bit wide, and I tend to "catch" things. I've bruised the side of my foot on a regular basis - but today I walked into the edge of a chair. Of course, it had a metal rim. I've got a huge goose egg on one knee. Add in spasticity... I'm really in pain. I'm planning on ice tonight. Do you know if anything else works for reducing the swelling or controlling the pain? Heat (I have Reynaud's too, so I can tolerate some heat) did nothing.

OW OW OW! If that just happened today it might take a few days for the swelling and pain to go down. The rule is ice first to keep the swelling down. Heat draws blood and fluid to an injury so can save that for later when it isn't inflamed anymore. Ibuprofen seems to work well with pain from sprains and bumps and bruises. And it's supposed to help to keep a leg injury elevated so if you can put your leg up when you sit down for a couple of days that might help. Some.

One time I misjudged where a doorway was (don't ask ) and smacked my forehead into the wall. The lump took 3 months to go away. I hope your knee gets better a whole lot faster than that!

Comment

Sorry!

No recommendations just empathy.

It is like things jump out and get me. I have bruises in places that I can't even understand!

I can't do the heat but ice feels fine for a while. Ice increases my spasticity so it can be tricky.

My friends and family say that I am colorful. Funny

Comment

I try to look at my clumsiness with great humor....I am "colorful" also!
        Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Sorry for your "hurt." There are several OTC meds that help distract from the pain. Lidocaine cream or one of the icy hot creams might help. There's a product called Bio Freeze that you can buy in a medical supply store or maybe a drug store, I've heard good things about it.

Salon Pas is sold in drug stores and they have a whole line of products that are supposed to work on pain in localized areas.

Hope you get some relief.

Comment

Thanks everyone! The ice got the goose egg down... Now if I could convince the spasms to stop long enough for the bruises to heal It's good to hear that I'm not the only one who does this. I'm a little sick of being laughed at.

Comment

For whatever this is worth= years back when I worked in ICU a doctor told me (for my own bruise) "once the bruise is 3 days old (and that yellowish color) to start "lightly rubbing it". That promotes circulation in the area and helps the ugly bruise go away. I DO want to reiterate to use ICE FIRST, after injuring yourself.!!
              Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

I use to always say that my legs were my best body part, of course that was BEFORE my MS dx! OMG, now my poor legs/knees are a mess!! They almost look like a golf ball, there are so many divets and dimples! Now they think I have 2 skin cancers on my R leg that will need to be removed. UGH!!! I have taken stock in self tanner to some what blend the bruises in so they are not so obvious!
                "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"

Dx 2004, Copx, Rebif, Ty Beta- I'm done!!

Comment

Help with Bruising

I can't add anything as far as pain and spasms. But, if you will rub in petroleum jelly (I use the brand name starts with a V) to the effected area as soon as you can after the injury, it will greatly lessen the appearance of the bruising. It really works!!
                  Robin

Comment

Working...
                  X