Jury Duty - Federal Court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jury Duty - Federal Court

Received a notice in today's mail for Federal Court Jury Duty.
    My MS leaves me with overwhelming fatigue as well as cognitive issues.
    Are those good enough reasons to be excused?

Should be. You'll need a doctor's note to confirm it.

Comment

Jury Duty

Hi, I also was called to Jury Duty and felt I could not attend. I went to see my doctor and he wrote a letter excusing me from that duty. I sent in the letter along with the notice the court send and the court exclused me from this for ever. Call your Doc.

Stay well,
      Maria

Comment

They are good enough reasons to bring it "UP" when you are there for "jury selection"
        Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

When I got a notice re Jury Duty, there was a question something along the lines of - is there any reason why you cannot serve on the jury. I answered honestly that I had problems with fatigue and would require frequent assess to a bathroom due to my MS. You had to provide your Dr.s name and address.

As far as I know they didn't contact my doctor and I never heard back from them.

I think your medical condition is a legitimate reason to be excused from jury duty.

Comment

Originally posted by fishead View Post
            They are good enough reasons to bring it "UP" when you are there for "jury selection"
            No need to actually have to report for jury duty. The summons can be nipped in the bud by mail right after the notice is received. I return the form with my doctor's letter and then I don't hear from the court for a couple more years.

Comment

How could I have forgotten

my frequent trips to the bathroom????
              Thanks all!

Comment

I was called last summer. I would have been okay serving. But I did put MS as the last thing on the survey. I had to call in each week, but didn't ever have to show up.
                Brenda
                Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

For county jury duty I was told that I would simply have to wear and adult diaper, as frequent bathroom trips would put me in contempt of court! My lawyer wrote a letter (the doctor's not wasn't good enough), then I was excused.

I was called for federal court duty in Seattle, 100 miles from where I lived in Bellingham, Washington, and I was legally required to go the first day. The court ws also legally required to pay us $150 per day for hotel expenses if we lived more than 60 or 80 miles away, so we could stay in Seattle near the court. I noticed that of about 25 people there for jury duty, they dismissed the 3 of us who lived more tha 80 miles away!

Comment

Two years ago I was called to, and served, in a criminal case at the county level. It was a valuable experience I do not regret, BUT ... if I am called again I will use this MonSter to get out (or at least try).

For me the commute (1.5 hr each way on public bus) was difficult. Plus cog issues that make it difficult to concentrate on what can sometimes be a complicated mess (I felt like I needed a scorecard to keep track of the players) and make a responsible decision that permanently affects someone's life is a stress that I don't need.

Personally, although I would probably enjoy the experience of serving at the federal level, if I were you I would try to be excused. Feds don't prosecute simple cases!
                    DX 10/2008
                    Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
                    Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
                    Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Working...
                    X