Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I rented a condo, and they installed grab bars in the bathroom for me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I rented a condo, and they installed grab bars in the bathroom for me.

I just got my deposit check back and they took out $50 for holes in the bathroom wall where the screws to the grab bars were. Can they do that? Anyone know what the Americans With Disabilities Act says about this?

I thought they had to provide "reasonable accommodations". I guess they can charge you for the holes in the wall, too? Also of note, is that they installed/removed grab bars for me in front of the house but did not charge me for holes left there.

I asked here b/c I don't see a better forum to ask on. Any constructive feedback here? Thanks in advance!

I'm confused. Jobs have to provide reasonable accomodations, landlords don't.

We rent and have bought ramps and a shower chair for me. I've also dinged the heck out of our walls with my scooter. We'll pay for everything.

Also, remember that raising a stink will just make landlords not want to rent to the disabled.
    Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Add http:// to for the Care Cure forums site: sci.rutgers.edu/forum/archive/index.php/t-111612.html

It has info on ADA requirements for access to rental offices and ADA access requirements for other common "public areas". Also has a comment with the following comment:

The Fair Housing Act, on the other hand, does cover residential facilities and prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability. The FHA requires that certain things be made accessible, including common entrance areas.

Based on what I read at the site, WC accessible door ways and other FHA/ADA requirements are mentioned, only apply if constructions is newer, built after a certain date for manditory compliance.

Comment

Did the landlord remove the grab bars and then charge you for the holes?

Why wouldn't they just leave the grab bars in place? They could come in handy for the next tenant.

Comment

Good Morning

No, you are required to pay for any modifications inside the premises under The Fair Housing Act. Details can be found by looking up the ADA Government Website.

Katie
          "Yep, I have MS and it does have me"
          Katie
          "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
          "My MS is a Journey for One."
          Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
          X