Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vitamin B12 Info Please

Hi,
    I'm a limbo lander. My B12 levels have always been checked and have been fine - yet the last two times they have been low. Doctor wants me to take vitamins.

Right now my B12 is 148 when the numbers should perhaps be between 198-615 pmol/L.

I have GERD and take meds for that so that my be the cause but because I'm in limbo that's not a for sure reason why I'm deficient. I eat enough foods that have B12 in them although I am dairy and gluten free from allergies and intolerances.

My question is:
    - what is recommended to take
    - how much to take
    - is there any other vitamin or supplement that should be taken with B12 vitamins in order to increase the likelihood of proper absorption.

If you have a couple of suggestions as I'm currently unemployed that would be helpful as well as I'm having to watch my money as well as my health.

Looking forward to hearing responses.
    Take care,
    swingingwillow
    Limbo lander on hold with a fast busy signal...

B12

Hi swingingwillow!

B12 deficiency was dxd for me at the same time as my MS. The injections have worked really well for me and it is rather inexpensive. Many people inject once a month, but I inject every three weeks and take some b12 sublingual from time to time too. For me I was having tingling in my feet and painful hands and the injections of b12 really helped. (for once it wasn't all my MS.).

I checked out a book from the library called "could it be b12" and it had so much information. The book is written by two people in the medical field, one is an ER doc. Anyhow, the sublingual I take is Methylcobalumim as I now think it absorbs better.

Long term b12 deficiency can result in a whole host of problems, and it is relatively inexpensive to treat. I thin my prescription for 10 ML vial of b12 was about $10 plus the cost of a package of needles. (the injection amount is 1ML, so that bottle provides 10 injections.) The sublingual tablets are more expensive, but are easier to get as it does not require

I hope you find this helpful!

Comment

Thank you for the info MyGirlsMom,

The last time my doctor noticed that my B12 was low he gave me a shot in his office and I had a lot of pain that night and trouble sleeping.

This time around he didn't know how my last experience went and he coincidentally said that he would prefer that I take B12 vitamins as the shot can be quite painful.

Now I'm wishing I insisted on the shot before taking the B12 and sucked up the pain anyway. I'm off to the health store tomorrow to pick up sublingual and get some advice - there's usually a naturopath or homeopath kicking around one of the two shops that I like to visit so I know how much to take and how often.

I'm having sx that seem to be MS (I'm still in limbo) that I've had when my B12 numbers were fine but now my numbers are not and I can't help but fret and worry from now until another blood test and waiting for results. This all takes time of course.

I'm worrying about whether or not my sx are from low B12 or are they the sx I usually experience anyway and now I have low B12 thrown in - this stuff just drives me batty. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

Anyway, I just need to get started and hope for the best. Sometimes just taking action is enough to put my mind at rest. Sharing my thoughts also helps.

Thanks for your reply to me - it is very helpful.
      Take care,
      swingingwillow

Comment

Swingingwillow,

From what I understand, the sublinguals can be just as effective as the injections. Be sure to note that there are a couple different types of B12 sublinguals (or chewables). The kind that I think work better for me at the Methylcobalimum vs. the Cynocobalimum. (sp?). Also, there are different doses too. I believe the best delivery method is to place under the tongue until dissolved. If you can get a copy of the book, it is a quick read.....

Best wishes to you! I truly hope this provides some positive results! (and it is a better fix than MS!)

Comment

BTW

Regarding sleeping: my advice is to take any B12 in the morning. I think it can disrupt sleep a bit, especially the first dose or so, but to be truthful, when my B12 levels are too low, I really struggle with sleeping. So, overall, I believe I sleep better when my levels are higher...

Comment

I was diagnosed with a B12 deficiency years ago. I can't remember the numbers but they were so low I nearly needed the shot in the butt.

Since then I've been taken a sub-lingual B12, Folic Acid and B6 supplement. I felt an improvement in my fatigue within days.

One time I couldn't get it and took a supplement with just the B12 and I didn't like it. Something about the Folic Acid and B6 help me absorb or metabolise the B12 better.
            Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Those people that responded with B-12 deficiencies should also consider other deficiencies like vitamin D and magnesium.
              Those are common deficiencies that regular PCP's overlook in blood testing. It's frustrating, because these deficiencies are easily and cheaply treated.

Comment

Thank you for all of the replies.

@MyGirlsMom I tried to borrow the book from the library and the librarian tried to order it as they don't have it - she happens to be taking B12 as well.

I found a chewable that doesn't have dairy in it - unfortunately the sublingual does and I can't have it. But the chewable comes with folic acid as well. The long methyl name that you used is not on the product that I'm taking but I'm happy to report that only two hours after taking it I felt like I took a drug to make me perky and I was and still feel a bit hyper.

I will be taking it in the mornings. And will take my GERD med at night.

I'll ask my GP to give me a shot each time I'm in his office and he's usually agreeable if he feels it's helpful.

@Jerry - thank you as well - my vitamin D and magnesium numbers look good and I take 4,000 IU of the D a day and now there's lots of sun.

I'm feeling a bit better about this whole B12 thing. Even if I have to try switching to another product if this one doesn't get my numbers high enough I will go to a different store in the area (we have 2 good ones) and try the methyl longed name one.
                Take care,
                swingingwillow

Comment

Glad to hear that swingingwillow! :-). Yes, I would have never made it in medical school for either spelling or pronouncing the long names of these meds.

Of all the medical issue that us MSers deal with, B12 deficiency is the easiest and least costly. (be sure to track your symptoms....maybe some annoying MS ones are really due to low B12).

JerryD, you are right on for these other vitamins! I track those as well. One really has to manage their own health as the docs just don't have the time to track all of these things.

Comment

Working...
                  X