Something in the Dirt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something in the Dirt?

In the April issue of Smithsonian magazine is an article about the rise of autoimmune diseases and allergies in developed countries.

Finland shares a border with Russia, and scientists there (Finland) have recorded a growth in the cases of Type 1 diabetes, but in Russia, Type 1 is still relatively rare.

The two share the same subarctic environments, but people Finland are seven times richer. "The difference is even greater than between Mexico and the U.S."

Finland is the more industrialized nation, while Russia is poorer, less developed. The scientists found that kids in Russia were exposed to infections that are pretty much unknown in Finland.

It seems that Russian kids' immune systems are busy fighting off bugs. Bugs the Finland kids' immune systems don't get.

"Sometimes the immune system overreacts to things it should simply ignore, like cat dander, eggs, peanuts or pollen. And sometimes the immune system turns on the body itself."

Like the immune system had little to fight so it went looking for something, you know?

Anyway, was wondering if anyone else read this article.
    It was very interesting.

I've not read that article, but general "too-cleanness" has long been suspected of having a role to play in auto-immune disease.

But then, so have more things than I can list.

The other thing is, the richer the country, the greater the likelihood a person's symptoms will be treated and diseases like MS will be diagnosed.

I'd imagine in poorer countries only the better-off get much medical attention. Although Type 1 diabetes tends to be a killer without treatment so you'd think they'd notice and treat the symptoms in Russia.

Dunno.

Comment

ThinkIm

I concur!!
      Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Working...
      X