Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I try and get a diagnosis or just wait?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I try and get a diagnosis or just wait?

For the last few years I have had the suspicion that I have MS.

I would love to get an MRI so I could get closer to finding out either way but I don't know how to go about doing that without insurance.

Does anyone have any advice on getting diagnosed while uninsured? Is it worth it if the symptoms, if that's what they are, aren't debilitating yet?

The first thing I would do is find a way to get insurance: health, LTC and life insurance if needed. Once you get a MS diagnosis the LTC and life insurance can be very difficult to get.

If you are employable I would seriously consider taking a job that offers health benefits now. Many will offer pro-rated benefits starting at 16-20 hours a week. Good luck to you.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

I don't think you want to put yourself in a situation that you could be deemed uninsurable. If you get a diagnosis of MS without insurance, it will be very difficult to get insurance with MS as a 'pre-condition'. Think about what you are doing.
      I would get insured, in some way. Then dea with all of the testing. If you think you have something going wrong with your health, you need to get a PCP involved. you could have something easily remedied. You need tom do all of the tests, blood tests etc. There are lots, not just MRI's. Good luck

Comment

Yep, get yourself insured first, someway, somehow.

Once you're diagnosed, the game changes, irrevocably.

Comment

First of all, I am sorry for the situation you are in, without insurance and suspecting MS. What makes you think you have MS, may I ask?

Also, the MS society sometimes has monies for MRI for those uninsured or underinsured. Ask them. But then what? It will only give you a radiologist report and not a diagnosis, just know that hon. A radiologist cannot make a diagnosis, but only "impressions" which may or may not be accurate without a MS neuro exam.

Lastly, with the Affordable Care Act check with your state as to what is coming next January. When I was looking for insurance, I was told by all these insurance brokers that pre-existing WAS accepted knowing the ACA was coming. But the deductibles made is impossible or the coverage was very limited for RX for example.

You may be eligible for your State's insurance program for low income.

Hang in there and let us know how you are doing,

Warmly, Jan
          I believe in miracles~!
          2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
          Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Disability insurance is a good thing to investigate. I believe Mjan is correct, that preexisting conditions wont matter soon, but you will never ever be able to get it.

Now all that said, there are many things that can make you feel you have MS and not be MS, so ultimately you do want to find out. Also, bear in mind that an MRI is not always conclusive as a read through the Limbo section will attest.

Comment

First of all, thank you Jules A, JerryD, Thinkimjob, mjan, and BigA for the great replies.

I will continue to look into your suggestions and will be back in the future.

mjan - In terms of symptoms (if they are in fact symptoms and not me being a hypochondriac) I have experienced tremors (made worse with heat), partial vision loss (possibly ON?) and other things like going numb easier and more frequently and so on.

Thank you again, all.

Comment

Working...
              X