Electrial shock feeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrial shock feeling

For the past few days, I have been having "electrial shock" feelings in both hand and lower arms. I saw some-one on this forum describe the feeling "like sticking your tongue on a 9volt battery". That's about the best description I have heard.

For those of you who get that feeling, is there anything that relieves/lessens it?

I have a call into my Neuro, but, I'm not really comfortable with him (new Neuro appoinment in less than 1 month!! finally ).

And thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

Originally posted by seal View Post
    For the past few days, I have been having "electrial shock" feelings in both hand and lower arms. I saw some-one on this forum describe the feeling "like sticking your tongue on a 9volt battery". That's about the best description I have heard.

For those of you who get that feeling, is there anything that relieves/lessens it?
    I'm having that feeling right now, as a matter of fact, all the way up into my shoulders.

All my different flavors of paresthesia (battery, pins & needles, burning, freezing, etc.) vary in intensity all the time, but taking gabapentin seems to shave a little bit off the peaks (in addition to reducing RLS).
    1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
    NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Yep, get that in various spots but the worst is my right arm...all the way down to the hand like I stuck my finger in a light socket. I have a lesion in the cervical spine which may be the culprit. Neuro prescribed Neurontin (Gabapentin) which seemed to help while I was on it. I weaned myself off as the worst symptoms abated. hate taking anything if I don't have too.

Hope you are happy with your new doctor and that one of the (current or new) gets you some relief for your nerve pain. I just made the switch to a new on after 10 years with my old one. Just felt it was time and after one visit I already love the new man. Very proactive already.
      Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

My most recent flare caused a shock down the back of my right leg. It went away with time but I was told stretching might help.
        Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies!

I've been on Neurotin for several years. I take 900 milligrams three times a day.

Neuro started me on Lyrica. We'll see how that goes.

Thanks again all!

Comment

I take Lyrica....seems to help some

Comment

Same Feeling

I also have had that feeling many times, mainly down my left arm. One time when I was seeing my neurosurgeon for my neck herniations (about 3+ years ago - before all the MS dx's were in play), I mentioned this to him and he looked at me like I was nuts. However, my neurologist did not look at me like that and said it is a common symptom/complaint for MS patients. The Gabapentin (Neurotin) does definitely relieve the shocks because it is a nerve blocker. I hope you have some on hand and if not, ask your neuro for a script, as it does help a host of nerve symptoms. Best....... Lilly

Originally posted by seal View Post

I have a call into my Neuro, but, I'm not really comfortable with him (new Neuro appoinment in less than 1 month!! finally ).

And thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

Comment

Oh, I hate that! I get it in my legs and think my cell phone went off. It didn't. I shake it off but it comes and goes as it pleases.
                Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

Mine happen in my left hand / left rib cage at the same time. The little ones feel like a wave and last about five seconds and were much more intermittent (only occur with certain movements / positions) but for the last week, every time I plant my foot I buzz/zap/tingle. With any sort of walking it's become continuous... ugh. The good news is that my neurologist isn't looking at me as though I'm nuts (he's heard this before).

So far meds aren't helping - we tried Neurontin and it made me a zombie. I've switched to Keppra twice a day - no luck there. I'm wondering if Tegretol may help - I had trigeminal neuralgia for a few years and it helped / I tolerated it well...

Comment

Have the same shocks

When I first started seeing a neuro 5 years ago for my MS symptoms I had the same thing. The neuro said it is called L'Hermitte's.

Mine went away after time, not sure if it was the Neurontin or just time..now it's back. Guess I will try it again and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                    X