Pregnancy & MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pregnancy & MS

Hey. I am newly diagnosed and new to the forum so I apologize if I am asking something stupid. My question to you guys is what has someone's experience been with MS and being pregnant? I've never been pregnant and now being diagnosed with this I'm afraid. My doctor basically says its fine to get pregnant but I just wanted to get your guys personal account of it? Is having a baby now worth the risk when you have MS?

Hi meburnett2004

Welcome!..Having childre is a very personal decision...some people find they don't have flares during pregnancy. I had my first big one with my 3rd child in the 7 mo....You need to consider there's no way to know the course of your condition.

On a positive note a child brings more joy into your life. It will help you focus on things outside of your condition.

Take care
    Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Pregnancy's "supposed to" reduce relapse rate then you're more likely to have severe/noticeable relapses a few months post partum.

My experience with my first son went like that - I felt great during my pregnancy then took a nose dive afterward. Things were different with my second son, however, in that I had tons of flares during my pregnancy but have only had one noticeable flare in the nine months since I had him.
      Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

awareness facts

It depends actually but in general , the disabling effects of the disease may make it physically difficult for the mother to carry a pregnancy. Muscle weakness and coordination problems may increase the likelihood for falls. Fatigue may worsen. Paralysis and wheelchair dependence may increase the risk for urinary tract infections. There is no evidence that MS causes infertility. Studies have shown that pregnancy, delivery, and congenital abnormalities are not significantly different in women with MS compared with those without MS.

Women in labor with MS may not have pelvic sensation, and may not feel pain with contractions. This may also make it difficult for them to tell when labor begins. Delivery of the baby may be more difficult in women with MS. While labor itself is not affected, the muscles and nerves needed for pushing can be affected. This may make Cesarean section surgery, forceps, and vacuum-assisted deliveries more likely.
        Andrea.G.Wolford

Comment

I was dx in 2002 and had my first daughter in 2004........no issues. In 2010 I had my second......no issues but had a big flare several months later which, from what I heard, is common. I feel bad because I can't do normal things with my second. I also feel bad that as time goes on I know it will get worse for me and, in return, they will be affected. With that being said, I wouldn't change anything! They are my Best of luck!!
          dx 2002 rebif 2002-2013 Tecfidera 2013

Comment

Originally posted by andreagwolford View Post
            It depends actually but in general , the disabling effects of the disease may make it physically difficult for the mother to carry a pregnancy. Muscle weakness and coordination problems may increase the likelihood for falls. Fatigue may worsen. Paralysis and wheelchair dependence may increase the risk for urinary tract infections. There is no evidence that MS causes infertility. Studies have shown that pregnancy, delivery, and congenital abnormalities are not significantly different in women with MS compared with those without MS.

Women in labor with MS may not have pelvic sensation, and may not feel pain with contractions. This may also make it difficult for them to tell when labor begins. Delivery of the baby may be more difficult in women with MS. While labor itself is not affected, the muscles and nerves needed for pushing can be affected. This may make Cesarean section surgery, forceps, and vacuum-assisted deliveries more likely.
            andreagwolford,

From your profile it appears you do not have MS and are here "to help MSers " Is this correct?

I'm not sure where your information about pregnancy and MS are coming from but much of what you posted is not correct.

but in general , the disabling effects of the disease may make it physically difficult for the mother to carry a pregnancy
            In general...this is not true

Women in labor with MS may not have pelvic sensation, and may not feel pain with contractions
            If you talk to women who have MS and have had children I am sure they, myself included, will disagree with the above statement.

the disabling effects of the disease may make it physically difficult for the mother to carry a pregnancy
            In general...not true.

Fatigue may worsen
            That's true for any pregnant woman, MS or not

Muscle weakness and coordination problems may increase the likelihood for falls.
            This can happen regardless if you have MS or not. Pregnancy changes you center of gravity

Delivery of the baby may be more difficult in women with MS. While labor itself is not affected, the muscles and nerves needed for pushing can be affected.
            Really? You know this because you have MS and have had a child?

This may make Cesarean section surgery, forceps, and vacuum-assisted deliveries more likely.
            The procedures you list happen to women without any medical conditions

For correct information about pregnancy please visit The National Multiple Sclerosis Society:
            http://www.nationalmssociety.org/liv...ncy/index.aspx

Hi meburnett2004 and welcome to MSWorld

I have 2 children, both born after my diagnosis.

You should be aware that relapses are common post-partum, usually within the first 9 months. It is also possible to have a relapse during pregnancy.

Having said that; My pregnancies and post-partum were uneventful MS wise. My MS stayed the same before, during and after my pregnancy.

Best wishes in whatever choice you make (to have or not to have children).
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thank you guys for all your help. Though I'm not planning on having kids until at least about 3-4 years. I just wanted to hear others experiences. That way I can kind of be prepared. Thank you guys

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                andreagwolford,

From your profile it appears you do not have MS and are here "to help MSers " Is this correct?

I'm not sure where your information about pregnancy and MS are coming from but much of what you posted is not correct.

In general...this is not true

If you talk to women who have MS and have had children I am sure they, myself included, will disagree with the above statement.

In general...not true.

That's true for any pregnant woman, MS or not

This can happen regardless if you have MS or not. Pregnancy changes you center of gravity

Really? You know this because you have MS and have had a child?

The procedures you list happen to women without any medical conditions

For correct information about pregnancy please visit The National Multiple Sclerosis Society:
                http://www.nationalmssociety.org/liv...ncy/index.aspx

Hi meburnett2004 and welcome to MSWorld

I have 2 children, both born after my diagnosis.

You should be aware that relapses are common post-partum, usually within the first 9 months. It is also possible to have a relapse during pregnancy.

Having said that; My pregnancies and post-partum were uneventful MS wise. My MS stayed the same before, during and after my pregnancy.

Best wishes in whatever choice you make (to have or not to have children).
                Thank you, thank you, thank you. I haven't looked at andreawolford's profile, but I found her post super misleading.

And as for "not being aware of labor?" I freaking wish.
                Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by meburnett2004 View Post
                  Thank you guys for all your help. Though I'm not planning on having kids until at least about 3-4 years. I just wanted to hear others experiences. That way I can kind of be prepared. Thank you guys
                  Kudos for doing research now and taking the time to prepare!

Something I'm always amazed that seems to be glossed over in these baby threads is the genetic and financial implications...although I think they are something people should consider MS or not before purposely bringing children into this world.

Please make sure you have a good support system and the financial means to hire the help you might need if your MS takes a turn for the worse. Being prepared for the worst but hoping for the best is crucial imo.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!
                  He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                  Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                  X