Vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacation

We've decided to take a vacation of a life time to Italy. We're going in late Sept through mid October and spending most of our time in the Northern region.

This will be our first international travel and so have much to learn before we go. I was a little concerned about the long plane ride and decided to upgrade a bit over the longest portion by purchasing the economy plus seats.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be much appreciated. For instance:

What about my Rebif? Can I take it with me in my carryon? I would hate to have issues if my luggage was lost.

Would you recommend a cooling vest and is that ok to take on a plane or should I pack it in my checked luggage?

We're so excited. I'm not sure we will be able to take a trip quite like this again anytime soon or ever so I'll be doing plenty of research before we go to try and narrow down what it is we most want to see and experience.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Silverlinings

hi, when we went on a plane in March we brought my meds in a cooler on the plane. It wasn't a big deal. They just checked it while our other stuff was x-rayed. I always bring all of my meds on the plane with me just in case our luggage gets lost. I don't have a cooling vest (was actually looking for one today on line) but I would probably wear it(?) and let them know at security that you are wearing it.........they might want to x-ray it(?) Again, because I would be scared they would lose my luggage if I packed it. Have a great time!
    dx 2002 rebif 2002-2013 Tecfidera 2013

Comment

AgLinings, it's great that you are off to Italy. I went a few years ago in late September--you could not have picked a better time. I've posted lots of travel tips over at ActiveMSers that you'll find helpful including an essay about my travels (and challenges) in Italy; look at Carpe Diem! under tips and tricks.

Depending on where you are going, you may not need a cooling vest. As for specific sites in Italy, feel free to contact me and I'll give you my faves once you've narrowed it down a bit. Also it would help to know if you have any mobility issues. Hope you have a great time!

-Dave

Comment

Vacation

Thank you Tracibk, that eases my mind about bringing medicine on the plan.

Hi Dave,
        I checked out ActiveMSers sight, thank you for the tip. I'll revisit to get more details as we put our plans together. We'll fly into Venice, then onto Florence, Rome and ending in Sorento. Flying home out of Naples. Mobility isn't an issue for me but getting over heated makes my fatigue much worse and I'm not in the best of shape. My husband and I have started exercising to better prepare us for our vacation.

Now that we have purchased our tickets we need to pick accommodations. I'm looking through Rick Steves' tour guide books but are there places you'd recommend?

Thanks again for your help. We have much to learn between now and Sept.

SilverLinings

Comment

on board meds

I was told by the airline to have a note from your Dr. and the label for the script. I bought a plastic snaptop box and keep all that in there, and put my shots (Betaseron) and sharp container, and pills (ampyra) in there. I have never had a problem.

The only issue I had while travelling is EXHAUSTION. I now build time into the day to nap, or shorten the day and sleep earlier than I would have before. Before MS I would want to see and do everything, and leave nothing out. Not now.

Have a fantastic time.

karen
          You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

No advice about the vest, but I've traveled lots with Rebif and had no troubles getting through security.
            Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

No Problem

Hi I just got back from a vacation in central america, I took my Copaxone ( about 10 shots) in my cary on with no problems with the perscription , I also took my ampyra no problems the only questionable time was when a girl went through all my carry on by hand and found my needle clipper with a bio harard sticker on it , she didn't even know what it was so she let me pass, I reccomend you pull any bio stickers off. I did great with the heat , get an air conditioned room to sleep at night , take breaks and get in a pool or ocean whenever you can. Dinner is usually late as it will be cooler. good luck on vacation

Comment

SL, shoot me an e-mail and I'll send you where we stayed. We used a travel guide who specializes in Italy and she found us some perfect places in outstanding locations to explore. Venice was expensive, but Florence and Rome were reasonable if I recall correctly.

Comment

I can add a couple of cautions about Naples

I've been to Naples several times, the latest about 8 years ago. It's a great place to visit, with tons of churches to see, wonderful street performers downtown, and close enough to Vesuvius that it's easy to get a bus tour there or to Pompei, which I highly recommend. Both require quite a lot of walking. The sense of antiquity there is like nothing I've seen anywhere other than Rome and the ruins in Baia at the northern tip of the Bay of Naples. I'm so glad I went when I did, because I wouldn't want to tackle it now.

The cautions are that much of Naples is not very handicap friendly, and the airport can be a real zoo. Crowd control is non-existent almost anywhere in Italy I've ever been. Be prepared to have your personal space invaded as you wait in line at the airport and many other large venues. Do not pack anything valuable in your checked baggage. Naples is notorious for losing luggage. In 4 trips there over 3 years, my bags were lost twice, so carry on one change of clothing, or the money to buy what you need in case that happens. It took over two days for them to get my bags to me the last time they lost them.

Comment

Working...
                  X