Lump in throat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lump in throat

Have had MS just 10 months. Balance is my main issue but the last several months I have developed a "lump in throat" feeling. At fist thought it was allergies as I do have some post nasal drip. I can swallow liquid as well as solid foods. May seem to come on when tired or over exercising or just their when I wake up. Just saw my neurologist as he said may be connected to the lesions I have on my brain stem. Has anyone else come across this...any treatment? Very annoying and can make you a bit panicky.

I have brain stem lesions, and it depends on where yours are, hence your neurologist comments, if they affect your swallowing. You may not feel the swallowing effect right now, but in the future you may. I hope not, because it is horrible. Sometimes for me it feels like just a lump in my throat, other times I can't swallow liquids or solids. It is just something to keep an eye on. You may need a swallow study in the future to make sure you have no trouble in swallowing that you don't feel but are there.

I wish you luck!

Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

lump in throat

Hi! I also have that feeling and I also have started having swallowing problems. Be sure to tell you doc about it the next time you see him or her. Try not to be too alarmed by it though. Just feeling what feels like a lump in your throat doesn't mean you will have swallowing problems in the near future or ever for that matter. If it does happen though, deal with it then. In the meantime, be aware of it, but not panicky.

Comment

Originally posted by 22cyclist View Post
        I have brain stem lesions, and it depends on where yours are, hence your neurologist comments, if they affect your swallowing. You may not feel the swallowing effect right now, but in the future you may. I hope not, because it is horrible. Sometimes for me it feels like just a lump in my throat, other times I can't swallow liquids or solids. It is just something to keep an eye on. You may need a swallow study in the future to make sure you have no trouble in swallowing that you don't feel but are there.

I wish you luck!

Lisa
        Moderation Team
        I agree with Lisa, definitely ask for a swallow study.

I have a brainstem lesion that really messes with a couple of my cranial nerves, and I have strange sensations in my mouth, tongue and throat.

Once you have a swallow study, you'll be able to know if this is in anyway affecting your swallowing ability (you want to know this due to possible aspiration.) So once you know if it's affecting your swallowing, or not, you can make adjustments to what consistency of foods you can/should eat.

It will hopefully help you deal with the sensations which can be really weird. (knowing that it is a sensory symptom instead of an actual lump), I haven't found anything that completely gets rid of the sensations, but a low dose of clonazepam seems to help deal with the sensations. (Yale researchers found a few years ago that low dose clonazepam helps burning mouth syndrome...which isn't related to MS...but is thought to be a nerve dysfunction.) Once I read that I asked my neuro if I could try that med, and it does make a difference.

Hope you get some answers.

Comment

Lump in Throat..swallowing

Thanks so much for the replies. Great suggestion I am going to get a swallow study. Also seeing ENT.

Comment

Working...
          X