When to call the doctor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to call the doctor?

I've been diagnosed for 7 years now, and I still have questions about when to call the neuro. I had some small issues and when I did call and speak to the nurse, she made me feel so stupid with the "it's not MS" answer. I am not a complainer at all. In fact, my husband gets mad at me because I don't say a lot about the MS at all.

A week ago, we chaperoned the father/daughter dance for the PTA (I'm a school secretary and my husband is very active in the PTA as well, even though our daughters are out of school). There was a little girl who was not having a good time at all, so I asked her to come to the dance floor with me and see what was going on. I just stood there and had her "move" for one and a half songs.

Before this, my husband and I were walking around selling 50/50 tickets to the dads. Before that, we were helping set up. Normally not a problem for me.

The next day, I could barely walk. It got better as the day progressed, but not back to my "norm". I was having muscle spasms in my back and legs. I went to the chiro for some help, which the relief wasn't there.

By this past Friday, things were almost back to my normal and I was feeling pretty good. Yesterday, we are back to the muscle spasms, etc. When I first stand up, I feel like I have to hold onto things to get the muscles moving. Once I get moving, it's better.

So my question....do I call the neuro or do I assume it's from the father/daughter dance? I would think by now I would be over the muscle soreness from the dance. Thoughts?

Generally, you call the neuro when you get a new symptom that lasts >24 hours and is continuous, or have an old symptom that pops up and lasts >24 hours and is continuous. This is the definition of an exacerbation. Otherwise, it is the same old MS symptoms of RRMS that fluctuate daily like muscle spasms. You may want to call about them and ask about a stronger muscle relaxant, but not for IVSM. So you can call for the daily stuff if you want to change your medications that you are taking, but they are not exacerbations. True exacerbations have to last >24 hours and the symptoms must be continuous.

For your symptoms, if you are on Baclofen, you might want to call and ask to increase the dose prn (as needed). Same with another muscle relaxant you are taking. You may also need to do stretches and possibly physical therapy. Many things can help, so I would call and just mention that my legs were in general tighter or however you would describe it. There are things that can be done to help that particular symptom.

Good luck
    Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Working...
    X