Spasticity check..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spasticity check..

I thought I was going to skate along but not so...I now have spasticity in my right leg..spasms at night and am on Baclofen.

Wondering what everyone's spasticity is like; levels of mobility etc and how you manage it??

Any suggestions and thoughts would be helpful!

Thanks
    Justacowgirl
    Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Spasticity is one of those MS symptoms that seems to treat each person differently.

Baclofen is a good med (can cause drowsiness) and Zanaflex is a good med too (also can cause drowsiness.)

My doctor's always allowed me to tweak my dose according to what my symptoms where, i.e. how bad my spasticity was on any given day. The anti-spasticity meds, Zanaflex and Baclofen, are relatively short acting drugs...their effects last for about 6 hours, so depending on when your spasticity worsens, you might find yourself taking more of it one day than the next...anyway, that's how my neuros dealt with it.

Usually they start you out at a small dose, and treat the spasticity with the lowest dose that is effective. If a certain dose isn't effective, they'll up the dose a little, have you use it for awhile, and then have you reassess the spasticity.

Not sure what the max dose per day is with Zanaflex, but I used it for many years, because I could take it in a 2 mg dose (which is actually a really low dose) when I was working (so I wouldn't be drowsy) and I would just take it more often. After years the Zanaflex seemed to stop working and I was switched to Baclofen. It worked, but again I found the neuro had to up the dose and there is a max dose per day (if you start Baclofen and are on it for awhile, never stop cold turkey without having your neuro tell you how to wean down off it.)

The thing about spasticity is you don't want to completely eliminate it. If your leg or legs are weak, you want some spasticity in them to help you stand/walk...too much spasticity med and your legs can become "noodlely"...pretty sure that's not a word.

I eventually "graduated" to a Baclofen pump...which works great, but I still take oral baclofen for other parts of my body that are spastic (pump only helps my legs.) It took many years to get to the place where I needed a pump, and many folks have great relief with just the oral dosage.

Definitely speak to your neuro about it, it's one of those symptoms that many MSers deal with. Here's hoping you notice a great difference (I did) once you start an anti-spasticity med.

Comment

I am on Baclofen; I am more wondering how it "feels" for other people....stiffness, pain etc and how they physically manage this symptom or what works. Does excercise work? Massage?

Any thoughts?

K

Comment

I am on 120 mg of Baclofen per day plus Zanaflex in between for spasticity. The best thing I have found that helps me is stretching. My PT gave me stretches specifically for spasticity and oh boy does it help. I also exercise, but stretch after I warm up. I would recommend a visit to a PT to learn some stretches, it helps your legs and arms, but also your back.

Good luck!
        Lisa
        Moderation Team
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

Thank you..this is so new for me it is great to hear what other people feel like and do to keep mobility

J

Comment

Working...
          X