Tremor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tremor question

Can anyone give me a simple explanation about why or how we get tremors?

I usually get this shaky feeling after I've done some kind of physical work (which is getting less and less). This morning I decided to clean off our hutch which meant washing all the knick knacks and polishing the wood etc. I'm very short so have to stand on a stool and stretch. By the time I was halfway finished I was shaking all over and of course.... very tired. Now I'm hesitating to finish my job. Taking a break right now.

I don't understand where these shakes come from and I sure don't know what to do about them.

Thank again
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Two words: REST and PACE yourself~~ LOL

Honestly, it really helps to pace yourself. I know that if I attend an event, the next day I better not plan anything much to do. Sometimes I end up in bed the next day.

So your trembling muscles just to not have the strength to keep being used like you did before. Also, sometimes we also need more MINERALS, like potassium and magnesium to keep our muscles more optimal, esp if we are taking any man-made meds.

How's THAT for an explanation? LOL

Sorry..

Gentle Hugs, Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Marti: There are two types of tremor, Intention tremor and Essential tremor.

Intention tremor copied from Wiki:
      Intention tremor, also known as cerebellar tremor, is a dyskinetic disorder characterized by a broad, coarse, and low frequency (below 5 Hz) tremor. The amplitude of an intention tremor increases as an extremity approaches the endpoint of deliberate and visually guided movement (hence the name intention tremor). An intention tremor is usually perpendicular to the direction of movement. When experiencing an intention tremor, one often overshoots or undershoots their target, a condition known as dysmetria.[1][2] Intention tremor is the result of dysfunction of the cerebellum, particularly on the same side as the tremor in the lateral zone, which controls visually guided movements. Depending on the location of cerebellar damage, these tremors can be either unilateral or bilateral.[1]

A variety of causes have been discovered to date, including damage or degradation of the cerebellum due to neurodegenerative diseases, trauma, tumor, stroke, or toxicity. There is currently no established pharmacological treatment, however, some success has been seen using treatments designed for essential tremors.[1][3]

Essential tremor copied from Wiki:
      Essential tremor (ET) is a progressive neurological disorder of which the most recognizable feature is a tremor of the arms or hands that is apparent during voluntary movements such as eating and writing.[1] This type of tremor is often referred to as "kinetic tremor." The tremor may also occur in the head (neck), jaw and voice as well as other body regions, with the general pattern being that the tremor begins in the arms and then spreads to these other regions in selected patients. Women are more likely to develop the head tremor than are men.[2][3] Other types of tremor may also occur, including postural tremor of the outstretched arms, intentional tremor of the arms and rest tremor in the arms.[4] Some patients may have unsteadiness and problems with gait and balance that are above and beyond that due to normal aging.[5][6] In addition to these motor problems, a variety of non-motor features have recently been linked with ET. These include anxiety and depressive symptoms as well as cognitive difficulty.[7] Recent studies have demonstrated that late-onset ET (onset > age 65) may be associated with an increased risk of developing dementia.[8] ET is one of the most common neurological diseases, with a prevalence of approximately 4% in persons age 40 and older and considerably higher among persons in their 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s.[9][10] Aside from enhanced physiological tremor, it is the most common type of tremor and one of the most commonly observed movement disorders.[11] Essential tremor was also previously known as "benign essential tremor", but the adjective "benign" has been removed in recognition of the sometimes disabling nature of the disorder. Although essential tremor is often mild, patients with severe tremor have difficulty performing many of their routine activities of daily living.[12][13]

Wiki is not my usual 'go to' for MS info, but if you enter the two phrases in your search engine, you should get better results.

I hope your tremor resolves soon.

Comment

Working...
      X