Weird, random leg pains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird, random leg pains

I'm sure a lot of you get these hit-or-miss leg pains that come out of nowhere. They can be cramping or stinging or like muscle aches.

Are these directly related to MS? I seem to be getting them more and more. Of course, I'm older and older now too.

I'd sure feel better knowing that other ms-ers have these pains.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Sorry for your pain, not sure what you mean.

When it happpens to me, I call them nerve bites. Its an intense, small in diameter, but deep painful bite!
    I had one in my arm that lasted 10 months, that they looked to see if I had bone cancer. I didn't.
    My arm has never been the same. Then it went away. Then, few years later it came back.
    But it felt like a "toothache" nerve bite~!!

Is that what you mean? Sometimes it is an intense ITCH kind of nerve bite with numbness and itching!!!

Is it anything like that?

Hope you get relief. What do you take for the pain?

Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Originally posted by mjan View Post
      Sorry for your pain, not sure what you mean.

When it happpens to me, I call them nerve bites. Its an intense, small in diameter, but deep painful bite!
      I had one in my arm that lasted 10 months, that they looked to see if I had bone cancer. I didn't.
      My arm has never been the same. Then it went away. Then, few years later it came back.
      But it felt like a "toothache" nerve bite~!!

Is that what you mean? Sometimes it is an intense ITCH kind of nerve bite with numbness and itching!!!

Is it anything like that?

Hope you get relief. What do you take for the pain?

Jan

Jan thanks. I'm not sure what to call these pains. They start suddenly.. sometimes last for days... sometimes hours. They can be a deep aching hurt... tearing type pain.. sometimes they seem to be shooting. They are always in one leg. For a long time I got a knot at one of my injection sites that lasted for ever and would hurt at random times for weeks and months later. I still have a small black/blue mark there. By the time I make an appointment with my PCP to look at it, the lump is gone again.

No itching. Just pain.
      Marti

Comment

Oh Marti sorry for what this is putting you through.

It reminded me of ONE time I had a severe pain in my leg so intense it woke me up!! It felt like a lump, was not hot or sign of infection. But I could feel this lump. Saw my PCP who thought it could be a clot or cardiac issue. Guess it wasn't. Finally it just subsided..no answers.

That is same leg I got this INTENSE itching, same diameter. And it was numb! Never could figure out how you can have an itch and be numb too LOL

Few years later, even after a pre-surgery heart eval, showing no problem, I ended up with 95% blockage in my heart and had to have a catherization/stent.

Because my legs get soo cold, they did a specialized ultrasound of my legs to see if I had any issues vascularly. I didn't. No one knows why my legs get sooo cold.

My recommendation is to get this checked out first by PCP and see if you need a good cardiac work up to make sure. Now not sure if that warrants such tests, but if you have any family history of heart disease it is worth it.

Just know that not everything is MS. And even when it is, not always sure what this is. All we know is our nerves "act up" sometimes..is how I see it LOL ! I call it a "disconnection of communication"..

Let me know what you find out. Hope you'll be just fine.

Warmly, Jan
        I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Originally posted by mjan View Post
          Oh Marti sorry for what this is putting you through.

It reminded me of ONE time I had a severe pain in my leg so intense it woke me up!! It felt like a lump, was not hot or sign of infection. But I could feel this lump. Saw my PCP who thought it could be a clot or cardiac issue. Guess it wasn't. Finally it just subsided..no answers.

That is same leg I got this INTENSE itching, same diameter. And it was numb! Never could figure out how you can have an itch and be numb too LOL

Few years later, even after a pre-surgery heart eval, showing no problem, I ended up with 95% blockage in my heart and had to have a catherization/stent.

Because my legs get soo cold, they did a specialized ultrasound of my legs to see if I had any issues vascularly. I didn't. No one knows why my legs get sooo cold.

My recommendation is to get this checked out first by PCP and see if you need a good cardiac work up to make sure. Now not sure if that warrants such tests, but if you have any family history of heart disease it is worth it.

Just know that not everything is MS. And even when it is, not always sure what this is. All we know is our nerves "act up" sometimes..is how I see it LOL ! I call it a "disconnection of communication"..

Let me know what you find out. Hope you'll be just fine.

Warmly, Jan

You know, I get this strange bruise in the exact same place on my right leg every few months. My PCP says it falls into the category of "weird". No answer. Isn't this all so strange? Since so many things are going "wrong" today I suppose it is a miscommunication, as you say.

Didn't you tell me that you have dystonia or some other autonomic thing? How's that going? Are you treated in any way? My thyroid doctor assures me my symptoms cannot be thyroid at this time. I've had another stress test and an echo. Everything is good. So frustrating! You get to the point where you will try anything.. even voodoo. Now I'm trying these essential oils. No big success so far. Sometimes I just can't put a name to my pains.. I never know what kind they are or which meds to take so I take one or the other. Hope for the best. You take care. Thanks so much for your sweet replies.
          Marti

Comment

Thanks Marti.. I enjoy following you too on this forum!

Yes, I have dysautonomia.. a disorder of the autonomic system. I just have a feeling that MINE is more related to MS..hmm..

My BP does not drop upon standing as most do with Dysautonomia, mine climbs UP UP UP while HR does up too. THEN it drops and I am left, weak, often have a headache, slow mentally etc. Awaiting my referral to a new neuro for that condition.. it is in the "rare" category and most docs do not know how to treat it. Some cardiologists know how to treat POTS but this is more complicated.

Funny how my beloved specialized chiro who has much neuro training, uses a finger to unleash the pinched up nerve bundles which then allows the brain to sent its electrical signals to the injured or maligned area and correct the situation. I only wish I could afford to see him. He has worked miracles on me in the past..

Keep a journal of all your "weird" symptoms and such.
            It helps docs. I bring them to my appts so they can see if there is a pattern or in case I forget to tell them.

I have a new MS doc, who is willing to take on my very complicated medical conditions and take a fresh look at everything.. wish me well!!

Jan
            I believe in miracles~!

Comment

I just remembered that I fell a couple days ago. EVERYTHING has been sore since. I just kind of slid on some wet grass... didn't hit hard and didn't fall far. But I did kind of jerk around a little trying NOT to fall. So I guess that might explain some of this continuing pain.

But today has been a multiple symptom day. All of it. Burning, pain, eye pain, HUG, head pain, legs and back and ribs. So maybe I'm also having a little relapse. I helped Sam in the blackberries a little today and totally wore myself out. I should have known, especially after cleaning my hutch this morning. So, I know I will pay for it all. Took a Neurontin and am hoping for the best. Thanks again for all the friendship.
              Marti

Comment

Working...
              X