Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question about MS Walk/anyone here gone to one before??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about MS Walk/anyone here gone to one before??

My family and I are looking forward to going to are local MS Walk on the 20th . The question that I have is is it ok for non walkers to attend. My husband can't walk because of his cathartic ankle and I'm a power chair gal.
    I'm hoping to go there to meet others and educate my family a bit more on MS.
    I 80 % sure its alright for non walkers to hang out there . But unsure on where we should go once we get there.
    dx.SPMS (baclofen,gabapenin,norco)
    started tecfidera 7/10/2013
    rituxan 11/13/2012 stopped due to side effect &it didn't help me (for RA and MS)
    copaxone started 4/2012 but stopped due to bad allergic reaction
    Matt.19;26 “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

Good question, wheeliegirl!

I have gone to many MSWalks throughout the years. I used to walk the entire way, but now I walk just a tiny bit and roll the rest of the way. Husband pushes me in transport chair.

Is you husband chair bound as well? Maybe you could have friends or family push you both.

Another possibility is that these Walks are always wanting volunteers to help in different stations....collecting donations, registering people, passing out information, etc.

I would call your local chapter and see what they want/need for volunteering. Good luck to you both!!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Our walk ends where it starts so I am planning on walking but if I don't feel up to it I will sit at one of the many tables they have set up and wait for my team to come back to me.

Comment

You can do the Relay For Life, which is for cancer, in a powerchair so I'd say it would be ironic in the extreme if you couldn't join in the MS Walk.

I'm sure you'd be able to - there are plenty of wheelchair athletes in the Paralympics.

(I've always wondered about having a "walk" as a fundraiser for a disease which can, amongst other things, render you unable to walk, but "raising awareness", a nice day out of the house, a bit of camaraderie and some donations can't hurt.)

Have a good time.

Comment

at my chapter's MSWalk anybody can enter as a registered participant- walkers, crutchers, cane users, stroller babies, wheelchairs, powerchairs etc. We even plenty of dogs wearing thier WalkMS t-shirts

If you want to do the walk just sign up. On the walk day head for the registration table and say "Hi, my name is so&so and here is my registration sheet and money collected (if not done electronically).

Conversely, if you want to volunteer sign up to do that.

Whatever you do I hope you enjoy it and meet some great friends (regardless of supporters or those who happen to have MS themselves)
          Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult...

Comment

Sorry it has taken me a few days to respond. I'm healing from shoulder surgery and my MS is acting up.

I just signed up as a volunteer for the event . My husband and daughter will be coming with me as I can doing anything without them . My husband is not disabled ,well at least in his mind he's not. His ankle is fusing badly (on it own ) due to an injury that happened 22 years ago . He needs to have it re broken and fused correctly . Its very painful for him to move about these days so walking is difficult. Who knows he may do it anyways and suffer for it later . He can be very stubborn.

I signed up as a greeter or registration . Hoping that it won't be to warm that day . I'm unable to wear my cooling vest due to the shoulder surgery . If its hot out that may end my helping put pretty fast.
            I'm looking forward to going . Going to stop by Target and pick up an orange shirt for the event.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **
            dx.SPMS (baclofen,gabapenin,norco)
            started tecfidera 7/10/2013
            rituxan 11/13/2012 stopped due to side effect &it didn't help me (for RA and MS)
            copaxone started 4/2012 but stopped due to bad allergic reaction
            Matt.19;26 “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

Comment

Wheeliegirl,

I have been to 3 MS walks. The common thread was that they were empowering. By all means DO go!
              Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Working...
              X