Annette Funicello dead at 70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
    It was horrific and not as rare as some would like to believe.

Does anyone know the timeline from when she started using a cane to a walker to a wheelchair? Or how many years she was in the wheelchair?

Although we see the quick photos of progression in reality it was a long time. She was diagnosed with MS 26 years and was 70 when she passed.
    I'd also like to know what was the trigger that made her retire from public life (as it didn't seem at all gradual)? When and how did she lose her ability to communicate? Nothing scares me more than that particular prison...having an active mind in a useless body...not even death.

I almost bought a National Enquirer that her featured an article about her, but put it back. Today was not the day, despite my morbid curiosity and my belief that I have to stare down my worst fears or they will defeat me.
    Tawanda

Comment

Yes, thankfully, the pain is over for Annette.

Comment

Originally posted by fishead View Post
        this is a thread needed, mJan, so I thank you! My personal feeling is 2-fold.
        1. I feel sorry that she had to suffer with MS
        2. I am discouraged that she didn't make MS seem like the MonSter it really is. (seems like that happens far too often, with those in the public eye).
        I wonder if it was a matter of privacy. She was a very public figure and might have wanted to at least keep the personal intricacies of her condition private.

After her death, a friend of mine who doesn't have MS said something like, she handled adversity with such strength and dignity. I loved that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
          I'd also like to know what was the trigger that made her retire from public life (as it didn't seem at all gradual)? When and how did she lose her ability to communicate? Nothing scares me more than that particular prison...having an active mind in a useless body...not even death.

I almost bought a National Enquirer that her featured an article about her, but put it back. Today was not the day, despite my morbid curiosity and my belief that I have to stare down my worst fears or they will defeat me.
          Oh dear, Tawanda.. how I feel for you. I cannot imagine what you went through with your mother. So I can understand how you may want to know and be prepared, perhaps?

What I wrote on my health directive is to fight for HOSPICE care as soon as I qualify. It is not always at the very end of death, but can be ordered by MD usually within 6 months to a year.

Hospice focuses on relief of PAIN, and offers comfort phys and emotional, to patient and their family.

Hospice care is part of all insurance benefits, directed by Medicare standards=free.
          Most do not know they even have this benefit. Trust me, hospitals, and such, do not order it soon enough. They still run up tests etc. Often unnecessary.

I just want to make sure someone is NOT fighting to keep me alive for THEIR sake..it is MY life!! LOL

Jan
          I believe in miracles~!
          2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
          Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Originally posted by mjan View Post
            Oh dear, Tawanda.. how I feel for you. I cannot imagine what you went through with your mother. So I can understand how you may want to know and be prepared, perhaps?

What I wrote on my health directive is to fight for HOSPICE care as soon as I qualify. It is not always at the very end of death, but can be ordered by MD usually within 6 months to a year.

Hospice focuses on relief of PAIN, and offers comfort phys and emotional, to patient and their family.

Hospice care is part of all insurance benefits, directed by Medicare standards=free.
            Most do not know they even have this benefit. Trust me, hospitals, and such, do not order it soon enough. They still run up tests etc. Often unnecessary.

I just want to make sure someone is NOT fighting to keep me alive for THEIR sake..it is MY life!! LOL

Jan
            This is wise planning, mjan.

Unfortunately most times in my experience the battery of tests and futile procedures are dictated by family that just can't let go.

Mine know I will reach up from the grave and snatch them bald headed should they ever allow me to be intubated or resuscitated.

If a good ole fashion Heimlich maneuver won't fix it...let me go.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by mjan View Post

Jan
              (((Jan))) Thanks. My mother was actually fortunate to have only suffered with a comparatively short run of 12 years with progressive M.S. as compared to Annette's 26 years or so. I feel like I have a "low-level fear" background program running in my psyche at all times. I have learned to live with that. Once in a while I'll get an abrupt change in symptoms, or I'll hear a horror story about someone else with M.S. (or in AFs case, a visual, which is worth a 1000 words) that brings my MS fears front and center.
              Tawanda

Comment

Working...
              X