Taking a Cruise Vacation with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking a Cruise Vacation with MS

I was dx two years ago with MS and have been on Copaxone for just over a year with good results. Luckily, I have few MS sx at the moment.

My 19yo daughter and I are considering a 7 day cruise on Carnival out of San Juan in July. I'm planning to book the cruise by Monday and definitely plan to purchase the 'just in case' trip insurance. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to vacation with MS? I am so nervous.

Has anyone taken this cruise out of San Juan and can you give me some tips on how to manage?

Hi Woodstock

I am going on my first cruise to Alaska in July on Norwegian Cruise line...I am booked into a handicapped room which is a little larger.
    I don't have any suggestions except enjoy yourself!
    Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

I have taken several cruises. They are great because if you get tired just go to your room and rest. When visiting the Island make sure to try to stay as cool as possible. I get excited and over-do-it. Take your time and stay cool. Bring your cane or whatever you need to help with walking.

The cruises are great, there is lots to do without leaving the ship. There are pools, shows, gambling, shopping and so much eating.

You can relax and really enjoy yourself.

Have fun. Lucky you.
      DIAGNOSED=2012
      ISSUES LONG BEFORE
      REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

I also did a cruise on Norwegian Cruise Line from NYC to Bermuda. My wife, daughter and I had a 'Handicapped ' room. I took along my 'scooter', which can fit in the halls of the ship. I had a great time. I can walk with my cane, but I don't last more than 1 or 2 hours without sitting down every 15 minutes or so.
        Be prepared to rest a lot. Use some walking assistance. Expect that the ship will 'rock around' under your feet. Don't overexert yourself. Good luck

Comment

My entire family (17) took a cruise on Royal Carribean out of Florida last spring. I was worried to death about the heat and being able to keep up. No need to worry. On ship, wind seemed to always b blowing softly. Never broke a sweat even while sunbathing.

You can pick the excursions that sound doable for you. Water to cool you off is always near! If u have a tired day, u can even hangout in your room. Ship employees are always hanging around to b at your beck and call. Their purpose is to make your trip as enjoyable as possible!

I think u said u had very few Sx so far. If that's so, I can almost guarantee you that u will have a fab time.

On the other hand, if you need a scooter/chair or even bath seat, I would recommend spending a little extra for a handicapped room. Rooms are TINY. Not much walking space.

Also, you can call the reservations line now, or when you actually book the trip, and ask all the questions u want. Knowledgeable friendly people will b able to answer them for you.

Only precautions I took were a sun hat, motion sickness patches, and a RX of steroids.....just in case.

My advice is to go NOW and enjoy your time w your daughter. You may not b able to a few years from now.

Bon voyage!
          Dx 3/4/12. Tec X 2 as of 7/7/13
          Weebles wobble and occasionally they DO fall down!

Comment

I think a cruise vacation is great for MSers because you can do as much or as little as you want to, or can do.

I'm heat-sensitive so I loved our cruise to Alaska, where even in July it was never hot. OTOH, last August I cruised from Amsterdam to Barcelona, Spain and once we got south of France, it was really hot. I chose excursions very carefully (ones on a bus with AC even though I am not much for bus tours otherwise), and several days I did not leave the ship. That's not a problem - there is always plenty to do on the ship.

Comment

I think I took that exact same cruise last year, my first after dx. It was awesome! I was nervouse too because of the heat in tropical islands. Fortunately for me, all me and my signifigant other want to do on cruise vacation is go swimming at the beach. Well that and eat all you can eat all day long, lol. I do remember a couple of days over doing it at the beach and needing to rest a little longer the next day, but heck! I was on vacation, it's cool to sleep in. Plus like someone else said, there is always a breeze on the ship.
              You can't stop washing your feet just because you're afraid you'll fall in the shower.

Comment

I prefer cruising because everything is in one place. Having said that, these ships are huge! So ask your agent to book you a room nearest to elevators.

Also bring your walker if you have one or maybe consider wheelchair rental. It can be a long haul to the dining room or pool!

Enjoy!
                Melissa Goerke
                [I]DX 7/2/10, Copaxone then Avonex, started Ty 9/13/11, JCV+ ended Ty 9/13, started Gilenya 12/13 Blood Pressure skyrocketed, started Tecifdera 4/5/14 - fatigue beyond bearable and symptoms became worse. Rituximab 8/8/14.....waiting for the miracle. I WANT MY TYSABRI BACK!!!

Comment

Bring all your mobility stuff with you. sign up for excusions (field trips) if you are able, but bring your wheelchair and cane/walker. Sign up for the easy tours, or just go out on your own with a Taxi. It is very important that you return about an hour before the ship leaves.

Comment

My 19 year old daughter has MS and cruising is our favorite way to vacation. We usually go on Carnival and always have fun. I strongly suggest taking a small fan with you. The cabins can sometimes feel a little warm because the airflow is not very strong. The fan really helps. She was on copaxone for one of our trips, and Carnival provided a sharps container for the used syringes. Don't worry - you will have a great time!

Comment

Cruising's not my style but it seems like it would be super conducive to MSers. Have fun!
                      Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

I have taken 8 cruises since my DX in 1996. It is my vacation of choice because there is so much to do or if I want to do nothing that is fine too. There are lots of cool spots on the ship and great ports to visit.

Now that it is just my husband and I traveling we tend to go during off seasons for a few reasons. We get better rates, smaller crowds and cooler temps. We cruise on Carnival and always get a suite because we get so much more room and it is not really that much more money.

On our last trip I took my neck wraps to keep me cool (the kind that get dipped in water) and my cane but never used either.

Comment

woody, I've been fortunate to see a wealth of the world from a passenger ship--I haven't let one longitude escape me. And based on my experience, the advice here is great.

It sounds like you may be pretty mobile. With that in mind, I might add that you may want to consider bringing an emergency oral dose of steroids (e.g., 1,000 mg / 3 days) on the off chance you run into a relapse. You'd definitely want to talk to your doctor about that. As for trip insurance, if you didn't purchase it within 14 days of putting down your deposit, it usually won't cover pre-existing conditions like MS. So if you didn't purchase insurance within that window and you have to cancel or modify your trip for any MS-related reason, it won't be covered. I wouldn't stress about it too much, though.

If you need any other advice, I've posted a detailed list of travel tips on ActiveMSers if you are interested (aitch10, sounds like we may have a lot in common). Many have found it a good resource.

Dave Bexfield

Comment

My fiance and I just took a cruise to Mexico a couple weeks ago and it was amazing! I did have pretty awful vertigo the entire trip and several days after, which made walking a little difficult but what else is new? but other than that, no major problems. Like everyone has said, you can take your time and do what you want and its so nice! I hope you two have fun!

Comment

Cruises are great

I have been diagnosed with MS for 5 years in May and I have been on a cruise each year since then. Some have been to cold places like the Baltic and Alaska and some have been to warm places like the Mediterranean, the Caribbean and Western Mexico. All have been great!

My neurologist has always know when I was going on a trip and said if I ever needed to contact him I could either contact him via phone or email. Of course I never did. He emailed me once on my Mediterranean trip to make sure that I was okay since I was a little wobbly before the trip and he saw the weather in Pompeii was going to be over 100 degrees. (Yes, I have a FABULOUS neuro!) He warned me not to overdo, drink plenty of cold WATER, wear light clothing and wear a sunhat.

Somehow I survived the day. I was exhausted and a little unsure on my feet for the next day, but what an experience!

Have a great time. You only live once!

Comment

Working...
                              X