Handicap Parking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handicap Parking

I am getting my handicap parking place card tomorrow. Where I work, in a hospital, has just made new "handicap parking places". These are located in the employee parking lot (they just put up handicap signs). You have to cross a busy street, then walk down an alley. Total time to get into a building (any building) is about 8 minutes.

When I called the parking supervisor and asked about this, she said to many people are taking advantage of handicap parking and this was a way to discourage it. I do have the option of paying $30 a month to park in the parking garage.

This, to me, sounds almost illegal. Before I cause a big fuss (and I want to!), I would like to hear what you all thought. In another month, the temps will start to warm up, and we all know how much fun walking in warm weather can be. I feel like it's a big flare just waiting to happen.

Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated.

Does this sound right?

It doesn't sound right to me. It seems to me that the parking supervisor should be responsible for enforcing handicapped parking rules, rather than making it harder for you to use accessible parking. There are hefty fines for parking in a HC space without a permit - why not enforce the rules that way?

You might want to check the regulations about HC parking in your locale before filing a complaint. At a website called "Adaptive Access" (appears to apply to Texas) it says the HC parking spaces should be located closest to the accessible entrance and the pathway between the HC space and the entrance should be free of steps or slopes, and have a firm, slip-resistant surface. That sounds different from what you describe.

If the only accessible HC parking is $30 per month when it "should" be provided free, that might be questionable too.

Comment

I don't know anything from a legal standpoint, but this sounds really messed up. First of all, what is the point in even "providing" handicap spots if it still requires you to take an 8 minute walk? Some people can't do that. I would also think that, if all the other employees get to park for free, you shouldn't have to pay $30 a month to park in a handicap spot that is made for people who are disabled. That sounds like discrimination to me.
      Diagnosed 1/4/13
      Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

I don't know anything about the law, but it sure sounds wrong.

A hospital near me has space for less than a dozen cars right near the entrance. The parking garage is a couple of hundred yards down a hill, so their solution is to run a shuttle continuously between the garage and the front door (and carry both handicapped and not).

Maybe you could suggest something similar...
        1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
        NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

I'm sorry, I didn't explain the $30 parking fee very well. ALL employees have the option of paying $30 a month to be able to park in one of the hospital's parking garages.

The "handicap parking area" is in the same lot as the "able body" employee parking lot, they just painted wheelchairs in a few parking slots and added signs.

sorry, this whole thing has me furious, I get to typing faster than I think.

Comment

Handicapped parking. Just make it federal requirements.

The reason I ask for federal requirements for handicapped parking:

Thirty years ago, I sprained my ankle, because I didn't see the slope for the handicapped sidewalk with a slope, the city had recently installed. #1 How to have a handicapped sidewalk - Have a red rail nearest the street, so the walking people have something to hold on to, and place red permanent flags on the top,also so we who are now using wheelchairs, know where in the heck the handicapped access is.

Also, can the inside door have a sign that states "handicapped parking access." You don't know how many times at a fast food restaurant with an entrance door on each side, I've gone on the wrong side to leave. I admit, I have memory loss also, and should have written myself a note after entering. But why can't the door just state, "handicapp parking" on the inside of the door. Or even state that "handicapp parking" is on other side, since I usually exit the wrong door.

I recently met my husband for an appointment to get our taxes done. He asked me why I parked so far from the entrance. I explained to him that the wheelchair ramp for the tall sidewalk, was down there.

I know that it is legal to have stuff like this, but having someone's input who deals with this handicap, is likely to help somewhat.

I remember when I worked at a public library THIRTY YEARS AGO. The library was adding on to the building. And they wanted to include a 'handicap entrance.' Ok, forty thousand dollars! I don't know what they ended up doing, but it would cost forty thousand dollars

And I have noticed that small businesses have employees nice enough to open the door, when I am coming and leaving. I did notice that they have no 'handicap entrance and exit button.' That is fine with me, but come on, where are the standards for new and modified construction, and why is it so expensive? Forty thousand dollars, thirty years ago, I can't imagine the cost at todays rates.

I think if several billionaires set up a bank account that would accept applications for these projects, it would help

But then isn't every little thing solved with $$$$$$$$$

Marie

Comment

Here in Goondiwindi, there are four car spaces set aside for people with a disability. Three are right out the front of the town's two supermarkets, and one is outside the social security office.

Two of the parks would be of no use to someone in a wheelchair, because you have to step up the gutter to get on the pavement.

By law, over here, my employer must provide me with one of the closest reserved spaces.

It makes no sense to try to stop people who aren't disabled using the designated car parks if it makes it very hard for people who actually are disabled to use them.

"Police" the parking! Those of us with permits will be quite happy.

Comment

Working...
              X