Biogen, what were you thinking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biogen, what were you thinking?

I received a letter in the mail about a complimentary dinner/educational event in my area that was being put on by Biogen. I thought that was nice, considering they only get thousands of dollars a month from just one MS patient alone, but as I read further, I couldn't believe what they did. The restaurant they booked for it is downtown where tons of people go every night. The letter stated free parking, but in that area, there are nowhere near enough spots for people and most end up finding a parking lot in the area and paying $5-10 to park and walking to wherever it is they're going. Anyone who lives here knows that.

As someone who can't walk long distances, I can't help but wonder, why would workers for a drug company who makes drugs for a disabling disease send a bunch of people who can't walk to a place that you'll only be able to get to by walking a long distance? Not that I care because I had no intent to go anyway, but how is that not something that they would think about when deciding where to host something? This is about as stupid as half the stuff people say to an MS sufferer when they really have no idea what they're talking about.
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Apparently, they weren't thinking.

Comment

A well stated rant ! Apparently parking and walking was not an issue for the drug companys' employees ! It's a slight but not intentional, just stupid.
      I have been to many of those informational dinners and, although well intentioned, the drug company reps are just going through the motions. And they always hire a medical professional to 'shill' for their product. But never a vision for a 'cure'. Yet, we know that there has been Stem Cell Replacement Therapy since at least 2001, and it has been arresting the disease.

Comment

First, I hope participants obtained information at the seminar that was beneficial. I hope any inconvenience was mentioned to the staff conducting the seminar and they filled out the survey at the end of the seminar.

People make mistakes and that includes pharmaceutical companies and their employees. I can assure you they did not intend to spend $$$$ to upset anyone or bring anyone harm. I really am sorry some may have had a bad experience and can only hope the same mistake will not be made again.

I was just at a Biogen conference this week. I was struggling to make it to the lobby to catch my ride. When a Biogen employee found out she RAN IN HEELS across the hotel to ensure my ride did not leave me. She then ran back to me to let me know the van driver was waiting for me.

Comment

If you really had no intention of going, you should't let yourself get so worked up about it. Relax.

I just went to a Biogen seminar last weekend, also downtown in an area difficult to find parking. They advertised "free parking" and sure enough, at the conference they handed out passes to validate parking at the garage. I'm guessing they did similar at the conferece you saw advertised.

You should go to one sometime, I have no intention on taking the drug that they spoke about but met a lot of people with positive attitudes and learned a lot that I did not already know.

Comment

Sorry to read your event had some issues with it (i.e. parking)

I'm very excited for my "drug company" patient support group is FINALLY bringing a seminar to my home city AND it's in a wonderfully nice restaurant (too expensive for me to go to any other time). I know they will have a less costly meal for those who attend. I don't mind...it's a freebie. Yay. These events are always held too far from home for me to go to these things so I don't even care about the topic! HA!. I was able to invite a friend who also has MS and so we'll have a "girl date" night. She took me to one of her drug company's seminars that was in an adjacent city so I am able to return the favor.

Hoping they get a good turn out so will come back.
            Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

I have been to several of there conferences! They always comp parking.

Comment

Originally posted by HETA78 View Post
                If you really had no intention of going, you should't let yourself get so worked up about it. Relax.
                LOL!

Might sound a bit like a time-share ploy, but nobody is putting a gun to our heads to go to a swanky hotel and eat a free meal! Sounds like OP could do herself a favor and lighten up a bit.
                Tawanda

Comment

Working...
                X