Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thinking of relocating

Good evening,
    I am currently living in Oklahoma and if you live here you know that the weather is more unpredictable than MS or at least I think that, but my husband and I are looking in relocating to Denver or south of Denver. Is anyone from Denver or Colorado? If so how does your MS "feel" lol. In Oklahoma for me it is humid and with the temperature changing from 30 to 80 in one day it makes me spaticisty worse. I do believe for me it is the humidity. Is Denver humid or does the weather change drastically everyday? Thank you for your help

Hi chelsea,

Colorado has very low humidity, except when it rains

We get cold and snow in the winter, cold/cool/hot, snow, rain in the spring, thunderstorms/lighting, rain, heat in the summer and fall brings heat, cold, snow, rain.

There is a saying here "if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Colorado and loving it

Me and my wife both have MS, before anyone ask no we didnt meet in a support group I was dx in 2006 and 2011 was hers . Been tough but back to your question we lived in moore norman area until last September.

We moved to a sub of Denver closer to Boulder, we both have decided it was the best decision we ever made. We have grandchildren and family still in Oklahoma. And Have went back several times since our move.

Personally we can say even going back for a few days we feel worse there and take sevral days to recover opon returning. We had this talk on our last trip back and we are thinking it might have to due with the higher altitude.

I now after last summer I wasnt going to be able to make it threw another 100 degree 30 day stretch again so it was time to go some place cooler.
      DX 10/06
      Copaxone 10/06 -11/06 killed my skin
      Avonex 12/06 - 3/07 hardened one of the valves of my heart

Comment

RRMS, Dx'd 2004

I lived in Denver along the 36 corridor for 3 years, 2006-2009.

My body felt better in Denver than anywhere else that I have lived, including CA coast, AZ, & NJ.

However, the rapid weather system changes caused severe migraines like nowhere else that I have ever lived.

I chose to get out of CO to avoid the migraines.

YMMV

Comment

I lived in Denver when my first MS sx started. We absolutely LOVED it there, and would move back in a heartbeat if we could make it happen!

The weather always seemed so mild to me....someone already said, wait 5 minutes and the weather will change! There was no humidity as far as I'm concerned. When it snowed it was beautiful, then the sun came out the next day and melted it....so there was never that "dirty snow" accumulation.

The summers could occasionally get hot, but it's a dry heat, and never bothered me much. Most of the time, it was just mild....and we always headed up to the mountains on the weekends where it was even cooler!

It is a beautiful, wonderful place...and I know I have always felt better when I'm out west, compared to the humid east coast. It is always a huge relief when we take a trip out west...I feel so.....much better! (And my hair looks better!)

Good luck on your decision....hope this helps!
          Crystal

Success is a journey, not a destination

Comment

I grew up military and have lived a nomadic life, including many states - Hawaii, California, Washington, Arizona, Colorado, Louisiana, Florida, Virginia, North Carolina, West Virginia, Pennsylvania and New York. I absolutely cannot tolerate hot humid climates, so I know I would be much worse in a climate like Oklahoma.

I think western Washington State was the best climate for my MS, never too hot, never too cold. I felt great there but the dark got to me, with lots of cloudy days year-round and very short daylight hours in the winter.

I'm working in northern Arizona now, which I love because it is (almost) always sunny, yet because we're in the mountains it does not get too hot in the summer, though there is plenty of snow in the winter. It is a lot like Colorado, but not as cold winters and not as hot summers (not to mention, much cheaper than Denver area). Denver definitely was not humid and my MS did great there too.

My favorite place is the Blue Ridge Mountains of western North Carolina and Virginia. However, it is too hot there for me in the summers.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Comment

Thank you so much for all your help!! I sure hope we get to Denver soon!

Comment

Originally posted by chelsea1186 View Post
                Thank you so much for all your help!! I sure hope we get to Denver soon!
                Does your husband have a job in Denver? You realize the cost of living in Denver is much higher than Oklahoma. I have seen so many people over the years just wanting to move to Colorado without thinking of of the cost of living, jobs etc... The job market here is very competitive and the housing market is so bad there are bidding wars, however this is great for the sellers.

Denver is is now considered the trust fund baby city. You could move outside Denver, but me being a native I think the quality of life goes down considerably. I think you should visit and do research before deciding on Denver.
                Suspected MS 1985. dx 1994 still RRMS EDSS 1.0

Comment

Originally posted by Katje View Post
                  Denver is is now considered the trust fund baby city.
                  I have lived in Colorado for many, many years and my husband is a native Coloradoan. We have never heard of Denver referred to as "the trust fund baby."

You could move outside Denver, but me being a native I think the quality of life goes down considerably.
                  Really? What quality of life are you referring to?

I do not live in Denver. My quality of life is quite nice. I live in a beautiful home we had custom built 17 years ago and we are on 2 acres with beautiful mountain views.

I don't see how my "quality of life" has gone down.
                  Diagnosed 1984
                  “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Denver has changed. I am a native Denverite as well. Go to a forum called City Data, so many people want to live here and come running with no jobs and unaware of the cost of living. Prime area now is Denver and Boulder.... then outwards... the further you go out the cheaper it is. Colorado Springs is a huge transplant area. Pretty town, ugly city. I live in The Denver tech area which is nice and everything is close and my kids all go to Cherry Creek, same school I went to. It's ranked number 1. Douglas county schools are bad, Denver county is bad. So many things for people to consider before moving.

Anyone planning on moving anywhere needs to go to City Data and the people there can educate you on the city you're planning on moving to.

Comment

Katje:
                      You could move outside Denver, but me being a native I think the quality of life goes down considerably.
                      Your last response didn't explain your comment.

Please enlighten me, how does quality of life go down simply because one does not live within the City and County of Denver
                      Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                        Your last response didn't explain your comment.

Please enlighten me, how does quality of life go down simply because one does not live within the City and County of Denver
                        I suppose it depends what people are used to. Housing prices are much lower in the ex burbs or other cities for a good reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Katje View Post
                          Housing prices are much lower in the ex burbs or other cities for a good reason.
                          Ummm, I'm not sure where you get your information but where I live housing prices are NOT lower and I am in a rural area where the LOW end of housing prices are in the mid $400.000 range. There are only custom homes (59) in the area I live.

I suppose it depends what people are used to.
                          It is more about what someone may want or the lifestyle they choose. The lifestyle I live is the one I prefer and the area I am in suits what we want.

The area you live in may be great for you, I have no desire to live "in the city."
                          Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                            It is more about what someone may want or the lifestyle they choose. The lifestyle I live is the one I prefer and the area I am in suits what we want.

The area you live in may be great for you, I have no desire to live "in the city."
                            This reminds me of a good point. We lived in Denver city and were quite happy there but since moving from Denver we have chosen to live in smaller cities (population 30,000 - 75,000) with universities in town. They are small enough to avoid urban headaches (high cost, high crime, pollution, etc) but especially with the university present, they are big enough to offer a lot of amenities - good restaurants, shopping, medical care, entertainment.

As with MS itself, each person is different with different needs and preferences. If we are lucky we can even choose where we live, picking the lifestyle we want.

Comment

Working...
                            X