why have you been hospitalized?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why have you been hospitalized?

I am unclear about how this works with MS. I see a lot of people here being hospitalized. I was hospitalized before I knew I had MS because they thought I was having a stroke (I was not!). A friend of mine was telling me about a relative who would repeatedly go into the hospital for MS flare ups - but she didn't know why. She just said "her body was breaking down." Can any of you explain this? Under what circumstances do you decide to go the hospital, or does your MS provider advise you to go? Why do they admit you?

How would I know, as a newly dx'd person, that I should go?

When is the first time during the disease course that you had to go?

What commonly happens when you are admitted?

I know this is all really personal, and I totally understand if you don't want to share. This is another thing that I can't quite get my mind around, so I'm looking for some way to frame it. Thanks.

Hi! I can't answer a lot of your questions, but hopefully I can calm some of your worry! I was diagnosed in 2004 and am 31 now and I've only been hospitalized once because of my MS. The reason I went to the hospital was because with my last relapse in 2009 the steroids didn't do anything so my neurologist suggested plasmapheresis. I was fine with the procedure so the hospital stay wasn't really necessary.

I had a bad case of vertigo in 2005 and had to go to the ER because I was so dizzy I was vomiting almost constantly. That was never linked to my MS by my neuro since it went away by itself and I didn't pursue it.

Hopefully you'll get some responses that can clear up the confusion.
    Lori
    Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

I've only been hospitalized once (then again, I've not been dx'd that long either...just a little over a year. Fingers crossed I never have to again, what a bore and NO sleep possible)

I was hospitalized for 5 days as I had numbness with severe pain from mid-chest down to my toes and trouble walking that developed over the course of a week. The MDs wanted to do a LP, MRI and some other tests to check if symptoms were from infection or some other cause.

I went to the ER for a few prior flares (severe tachycardia/vertigo, and severe pain/numbess in face) but I knew this last time I'd probably have to stay in-hospital awhile.

I think 90% of the time people don't visit the ER (not much good unless you're missing a limb) or get admitted and are able to get advice from MS doc over the phone before a regular office visit. Seems like many flares ease in over the course of a few days or longer - so there's time to assess what to do.
      RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Originally posted by javaaddict View Post
        I was hospitalized before I knew I had MS because they thought I was having a stroke (I was not!).
        I may have misunderstood a previous post of yours but I thought you said you were not diagnosed with MS

I have been diagnosed with MS for 28 years and I have never been hospitalized. The only thing that going to ER is going to get you...steroids.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
          I may have misunderstood a previous post of yours but I thought you said you were not diagnosed with MS

I have been diagnosed with MS for 28 years and I have never been hospitalized. The only thing that going to ER is going to get you...steroids.
          I don't understand that either, actually. My neurologist said I have MS, but he won't exactly diagnose me yet. He said all other things are ruled out (I had a bunch of blood testing last year for myasthenia gravis, Lyme, something else....hm...sorry, can't remember). He said the new plaques on my most recent MRI, one of which is active and directly correlated to my most recent cranial nerve issue, is an MS plaque - I was hoping it was some kind of migraine lesion and hoping it was not a TIA marker. Last time when I was hospitalized I was pregnant - so my affected vision made them think I had a stroke. At that time I heard several doctors say it was likely MS (no other stroke symptoms) but that was the first episode. I had no other issues, and my MRI at that time was clear of lesions. However, with another cranial nerve issue, and an active lesion that directly correlates, there's not much else I'm looking at.

Comment

Originally posted by javaaddict View Post
            I don't understand that either, actually. My neurologist said I have MS, but he won't exactly diagnose me yet.
            Based on whatever tests you have had it could be you currently do not meet the McDonald Criteria which is usually required for a diagnosis.

That might also be why your neuro wants to do a Lumbar Puncture (LP). You may want to reconsider having a LP It may or may not give you answers.
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I was diagnosed 23 years ago, 1989. With the initial diagnose I was given oral steroids.

I had a major attack that affected my eyes in 2001 and spent a week in the hospital.

In 2002 I had an "episode" where I couldn' t stop vomiting. After two days in the hospital dr determined it wasn't MS and probably caused by a severe migraine.

2004 another admit to the hospital for pain in my arm. I was saying all along that the pain was not related to MS. After a week of many, many tests it turned out I had an entrapped nerve in my elbow. Had surgery and was released two days after surgery.

This week is radiation for a tumor in my ear canal. Out-patient procedure unless I have complications.
              Karen

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                Based on whatever tests you have had it could be you currently do not meet the McDonald Criteria which is usually required for a diagnosis.

That might also be why your neuro wants to do a Lumbar Puncture (LP). You may want to reconsider having a LP It may or may not give you answers.
                I will consider it - thanks for the advice. I meet with him again in a month - he wants me to do the LP for sure. I actually read some new documents a few minutes ago that were super helpful in explaining the diagnostic process - NOW I see why he's pushing it. I've had several epidurals, and delivered one baby med free - you'd think I'd be able to handle the thought of a LP. CHICKEN. lol

Comment

I have had MS since 1975 and have never been hospitalized for MS.

Once I needed IV steroids for a "relapse" (turned out it was not an MS relapse) and that was done by a home health nurse at my house.

Otherwise I have been admitted to the hospital only for major surgery or having a baby - nothing related to MS.

Comment

I've been hospitalized for brain (metastasis of lung cancer) and spine (cyst & herniated disc) surgery, but never MS.

Knowing that steroids can only shorten the duration of sx, I have a hard time imagining circumstances under which I would go to a hospital or do steroids because of an MS attack. I could even tolerate total blindness if I knew (believed?) it was temporary...
                    1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
                    NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Having spent a month in hospital after an aneurysm burst, I wouldn't recommend it. And that was a nice private hospital with a single ward like a motel room.

I've had IV 'roids in a hospital for MS, but I went home straight afterwards.

That said, when I really do feel horrible I often think how lovely it would be to be looked after for a week or two.

Comment

I've never been hospitalized for MS per se...perhaps for issues related to MS. Had a couple baclofen pump surgeries, a couple UTIs that would only respond to IV antibiotics so they put me in the hospital for those. Had a couple other surgeries which they think were caused by muscle weakness from MS, but in my mind, I don't consider any of the above as being hospitalized because of my MS.

Comment

Working...
                        X