Back in the hospital again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in the hospital again

So, I ended up in the ER Friday evening after supper. The results from my lab work were not sent to the MS nurse yet, so I had to make a decision.

Since I only seemed to be getting worse, I asked my dh to take me to the ER. He asked if I was sure and I told him I just couldn't see how I would make it through the weekend when I couldn't even pick up my feet and kept having numbness all the way up both legs. Next question? Can we eat supper first? Most definitely, I said! I knew that it would be a long wait at the ER, and my dh had spent a long time making a wonderful dinner.

The IV steroids have made a huge difference, now, and I am hoping/expecting to be discharged today. Will keep you updated.
    -Sherry

Good Sherry. Knew you would make the right decision! I am so glad you are feeling better! Let us know how it goes.

Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Glad you're feeling better!

Get well soon!
      When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

You made a good decision to go and am glad you're feeling better!

Comment

Well, I did go home on Monday. Was so excited about leaving, that I forgot to update on here. I will see my neuro next week, for a follow-up.

I have already "overdone it" earlier in the week, and ended up in the same exact condition as when I went in. Thankfully, I talked with my MS nurse and she told me to just be more careful, take it easy, and rest more; not time to get back into a regular routine quite yet. She was right. After a day or two of "doing nothing," I felt a LOT better. Even stopped using my walker around the house.

As soon as I was beginning to feel better, my daughter caught a super nasty stomach bug! I thank God that my sister-in-law was here to help with the cleanup and to help my dd feel better. Of course, I ended up being the one who had to sleep with her for two nights (scared to death that I might catch it, with IV steroids still in my system). Good thing I stayed with her, because she continued vomiting in the wee hours; with basically nothing on her stomach. Scared me b/c I thought she may need to go to the ER. Kept a fever of 101-102.6 for two days, too!

Took her to the pediatrician first thing the next morning (her first day off of school for Easter break). It's amazing how the "Mommy genes" kick in when you need them to! I managed to take her to the dr., to the convenience store to get some Gatorade, and later to the grocery store to buy easily digestible foods for after her liquid diet (last one was really tough on me).

I'm happy to report that my dd, after a day of liquids only diet and constant (unusual for her) NAPPING, was feeling much better today. And, so far, nobody else seems to have caught it!

As for me? I am still taking it as easy as I can; bragged to my mom, yesterday, that I was no longer using the walker (so she need not come up here). Unfortunately, I think my symptoms were triggered by the emotions/excitement of watching a movie I really enjoy (Courageous) and/or by the events of the previous days. I couldn't eat dinner with my family tonight ...oops..last night, b/c my left leg went weak and nerve pain swooped upon that leg and the rest of my body. I had to take a Neurontin and go lie down for a few hours. Missed out on my dh's homemade meatloaf.

Home again, but trying to manage to not "do too much." It's a difficult balance.

Comment

It's always difficult to alter our routines. You really should not overexert yourself and like the doctor says... take it easy! You don't want to have to go back to ER.

Let yourself be spoiled, looked after, and fed. You'll be back to your regular routing soon enough.

Take care!

Comment

Originally posted by CaroleL View Post
              It's always difficult to alter our routines. You really should not overexert yourself and like the doctor says... take it easy! You don't want to have to go back to ER.

Let yourself be spoiled, looked after, and fed. You'll be back to your regular routing soon enough.

Take care!
              No,I certainly do NOT want to go back to the ER.

Can I tell my dh that I've been advised to be spoiled, looked after, and fed? Actually, he's been automatically taking over the cooking lately. He knows I am still having a hard time. But...I still am tempted to use your quote!

Comment

i am confused.
                when do you know whether to go to er or not, i have had severe stiffness and numbness and pain in all limbs, for nearly 3 weeks now. Can barley walk, let alone drive. what is criteria for going to er?
                God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Go ahead readingteacher!

Comment

Gloobeylube,

If these symptoms are new, then by all means don't be shy to go to the ER.

Anytime you worry and suffer from symptoms, or can't alleviate the pain, you should call your doctor and/or go to the ER.

Are you diagnosed?

Have you spoken to your doctor or neuro?

Are these new symptoms? (could be a flare-up)

Comment

Working...
                    X