Out of the blue feelings of unease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of the blue feelings of unease

Hi there, Im a 43 yr old cycling mad guy who was diagnosed with RRMS in 2004, I currently take a copax injection using the autoinjector and I am fortunate enough to be able to cycle 100 miles with the cycling club I am a keen member of.

Look forward to discussing MS things with you guys and ladies but can I ask you something please, my doc has me taking 3 x 10mg baclofen tablets daily for muscle spasm control and 1 x 50mg sertraline to act as a mood balancer, thankfully I dont suffer from depression having MS and the sertraline just keeps my mood in the middle, ive 2 kids arguing all the time and a wife who argues with them and thank god I have my bike !!

Out of the blue I get these feelings of unease, ive always been a guy who is so laid back im almost horizontal, but I can get those jittery feelings where my heartrate quickens and breathing gets shallower and im at a loss as to where they come from I eat very healthily and am in great physical shape though I do drink more percolated coffee without milk than I should , do any of you get anxious or nervy feelings that last a short duration and you dont really have a reason for their being there ? If I can help with any questions which you have then I will be only too glad to assist.

Hello. Sounds like an anxiety attack to me, but then I'm not a doctor. Go to one, because it might be something cardiological, like angina.

This has happened to me, heart pounding, bit dazed and confused. I think it's due to worry, fatigue, sensory overload etc.

The trick is to remember it won't last forever- it can't. Tell yourself, "I know what this is. It is a panic attack. It will stop in a little while." I was going to say "ride it out".

Of course, I'm no psychologist, either. There are drugs, counsellors etc who can help.

Comment

Originally posted by Cycling Mad View Post
      Hi there, Im a 43 yr old cycling mad guy who was diagnosed with RRMS in 2004, I currently take a copax injection using the autoinjector and I am fortunate enough to be able to cycle 100 miles with the cycling club I am a keen member of.

Look forward to discussing MS things with you guys and ladies but can I ask you something please, my doc has me taking 3 x 10mg baclofen tablets daily for muscle spasm control and 1 x 50mg sertraline to act as a mood balancer, thankfully I dont suffer from depression having MS and the sertraline just keeps my mood in the middle, ive 2 kids arguing all the time and a wife who argues with them and thank god I have my bike !!

Out of the blue I get these feelings of unease, ive always been a guy who is so laid back im almost horizontal, but I can get those jittery feelings where my heartrate quickens and breathing gets shallower and im at a loss as to where they come from I eat very healthily and am in great physical shape though I do drink more percolated coffee without milk than I should , do any of you get anxious or nervy feelings that last a short duration and you dont really have a reason for their being there ? If I can help with any questions which you have then I will be only too glad to assist.
      I do, but mine is related to a lesion that causes my bp to elevate and my heart rate as well. Feels like a panic attack without the breathing issues. It comes on with no warning, but I now have meds that bring down the bp and regulate the heart rate and I take them as needed. It almost feels like a rush that comes out of nowhere for no particular reason, and I get very antsy, nervous, and shakey.

I just thought it was anxiety of some sort, until my GP started investigating, and found there was a physical reason for the feeling. Then it was all tied to MS when a lesion in a certain area of the brain was imaged.

I'd start by talking to your GP about the episodes and see what he/she has to say. So many things that can cause this sort of thing other than MS, that's why I'd start with the GP.

Hope you get some answers.

Comment

Depending on how long you have been taking your Seratiline it could be a side effect. Otherwise there are medications that can take care of both at the same time (anxiety and depression). Talk with your primary care doc about this, neuros are not the best at managing this sort of thing.

I am a cyclist too. My best is only 75 in a day though. Good for you doing the century. What do you do in the summer to keep from getting too hot? Cooling vest?

Take care
        Lisa
        Moderation Team
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

I think you've gotten some good advice. But I'd like to add that it sounds like your trying to avoid an unhappy home situation by blaming it on MS and trying to dull it all by taking mood drugs. I agree that it might be healthier for you in the long run to get yourself and your unhappy family into counseling.

Over the years I've read way too many stories about people in unhappy dysfunctional relationships who have their families fall apart and then try to blame it on MS when the problem is with the people themselves. I hope you can get your family into therapy. I think you might find it easier to deal with your MS then too.

Comment

I get those feelings of unease when I'm on the verge of a panic attack. I have anxiety too, and sometimes it is hard to discern between the two. I can get can get anxious when someone invades my personal space- like too close in a movie theater or even church, or if I find myself surrounded with too many people - like a concert, or sporting event. Those are times when I feel like I have some control over the situation.

The unease is different. It comes out of nowhere, does not feel like I can control it in the slightest, and causes me to squirm with thoughts ranging from worrying about each member of my family and if something is wrong, I.e, an accident, sickness problem, etc. I can get really worked up very fast. Sometimes I can talk myself down with the realization that I am being irrational, that they'd call if something had happened, and so forth. ..

Sometimes the unease will manifest itself in ways such as wondering if I should take a different route to town...like something might happen if I make the wrong choice.
            Crystal

Success is a journey, not a destination

Comment

Hi Lisa

I live in the united kingdom and if you experienced our summers you would see that heat is never an issue now if I lived in phoenix az that would be another matter

what sort of bike are you riding and what groupset ?

my cannondale is the 2012 caad 8 with 105 groupset and im considering also buying a bike called the skinnymalinky from a scottish company called Shand who build them by hand and if I buy one ill be sure to fit campagnolo 10 speed groupset on that bad boy.

Comment

I have a 2010 Trek groupset shimano 105. I live in NC, so the summers get very hot, over 100 degrees, with the humidity at 100 percent. I have to wear a vest, but the dang thing keeps wearing out before me. It lasts about 2 hours, whereas you know a 75 mile ride takes longer. My average speed is 17 mph.

Definitely better weather in the summer in the UK!

Lisa
                Moderation Team
                Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
                SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
                Tysabri

Comment

thats awesome Lisa and you keep it up, my best performance stats for a 50 mile solo ride with no club mates for me to use as wind shelter was an average of 19.4 mph, if I had have been out with the club id have broken 20 mph average for sure. are you like me when cycling in that you have to respect the fact that you have limits that you dare not exceed ? some of the club riders are animals on the bikes and are unbelievable on uphill gradients when i see those guys and girls i feel impressed at their fitness and sad at the same time realising that i have to know my limits. the guys who are weighing around 165 lbs and have that perfect combination of huge power to low weight ratio just take my breath away. in 2014 the giro d`italia will be starting in the uk and im going to be there watching the fittest athletes on the planet do their stuff , my all time hero`s are fausto coppi and eddy merckz and to see the best racing snakes up close is something i just cant wait for.

Comment

what a schmuck you must think i am lisa, just realised i spelt merckzx as merckz and im looking for my dunce hat

Comment

Working...
                    X