Pain that does not change with movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pain that does not change with movement

I have not been diagnosed yet with ms however I am in the process of working with a neurologist to come with a diagnosis. I have has leg pain for over three years. That comes and goes. When it is there the pain does not change with movement Etc. meaning if I bend my knee, sit Down, walk etc the pain is exactly the same. Is this what may of you are experiencing or is this something different. ? Input appreciated. I have noticed OTC medication does help this.

Neuropathic pain, which many with MS experience, does not improve with movement.

I have noticed OTC medication does help this.
    My neuro told me years ago OTC pain medication does not help with MS pain (neuropathic/nerve pain). I have found this to be true.

I will usually experiement:

I take OTC pain medication if no relief from pain I then know it is MS pain (neuropathic/nerve pain) and take something that will help.

If OTC pain medication helps I know my pain is not MS related.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Advil does nothing for this but Tylenol does. Which I guess would still be OTC. So you are saying no OTC's help with your MS pain ?

Comment

OTC does not help, but narcotics don't help "nerve pain" either. You need to go to a pain-management-doctor. I have been having probs with pain control and am looking for a good pain managment physician in my city.
        Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

I have noticed Advil does nothing for his pain however a Tylenol type pain does. But I guess that would still be over the counter correct ? You are saying none work ??

Comment

OTC pain relievers work for me on muscle pains and arthritis and "regular" headaches and things, but none of them work on nerve pain. That's how I know what's MS nerve pain and what isn't. If your pain goes away with Tylenol it might be somehow related to MS but it isn't MS nerve pain. MS doesn't attack joints so if you have pain in your knee it isn't from MS. Maybe that's why pain relievers help it?

Comment

Like I said I have not been diagnosed yet but I have apt of right leg pain. It runs from my groin down the inside of my thigh and calf. I describe it as a deep ache. It usually goes away at least some what with Tylenol. I am just trying to figure out if this another symptom of mine to add to the ms list or not. Thanks.

Also has anyone had the sensation of the the end of their tongue being sore. Feels swollen.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyhu3 View Post
                Advil does nothing for this but Tylenol does. Which I guess would still be OTC. So you are saying no OTC's help with your MS pain ?
                No, none of the OTC pain medication help with MS pain.

Everyone, health issues or not, deal with some sort of pain in their lives, at one time or another. The pain associated with MS is not the kind of pain "others" feel and MS pain needs to be treated differently to find relief.
                Diagnosed 1984
                “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Have your back checked out, and soon, before that "leg" pain becomes a severe back issue.

My herniated disc problem (not MS, even confirmed by neurologist) actually started as a pain centered in the middle of my shin bone. Off and on. Over about a year's time. And yes, OTC helped a lot with that. Spasms and shooting pains followed. Over time--about a year's worth. I was blaming MS for it all, until...one day I could not walk at all, with the most excruciating pain centered in my lower back. To the hospital--it was the only thing I could do, via ambulance even. "Big" drugs helped ease it, but only for a short time.

You see? At first I thought that shooting pain was MS, the centered pain on my shinbone = MS, any spasms I was having surely was MS, right?

NO!!!

None of it was MS-related (even though I DID have new lesions on my brain). Doctor said that MS doesn't cause the kinds of pain I was having, re-confirming what he told me last year. Physical Therapy helps me a ton now--aquatic physical therapy (or even the MS Aquatics class) helps me to walk and get around now.

My back, discs are quite deteriorated which cause the herniated disc to bulge and PAIN! me. So, get your back checked out too.

And yes, OTC drugs still do help the back/leg pains, still.

Best of luck to you! Believe me, it would have been so much easier to address that issue BEFORE the back went out, so please.........

Comment

Working...
                  X