Drastic measures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drastic measures

I am curious, what's the most drastic measure you've had to take because of MS? At first, for me it was having to quit working. I am a people person and now I feel like a recluse! I do try to make myself get outside everyday.

The next thing was driving. I have always loved to just take off on road trips spontaneously! I've zig zagged all across the United States but now I hardly ever drive because my car is a stick shift and I don't have the strength on my right side. It sucks!!

Now I may have to sell my car. It hasn't been driven in over a year and I need a manual wheel chair. Its going to cost more than what I can sell my car for, $1900. for the car and $1000. for my car. It's a '91 Mazda Miata Convertible. I really don't want to, it was a gift from my husband, but after being able to use a custom chair at the Abilities Expo for a few hours, I realized why I am always hurting and totally exhausted from the one my insurance paid for for me.

I'm going to see about getting one of our local restaurants to possible do a fundraiser to help me raise the $ for the chair so I can keep my car. Keep me in your prayers please!
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"

Dx 2004, Copx, Rebif, Ty Beta- I'm done!!

Stopping driving. I had a stick shift too, and my clutch foot has foot drop. Oh boy that was hard.

Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

I feel so sorry for both of you. Luckily for me, my left side is weaker and I don't know how to drive a stick, so the weakness only affected me when applying the e-brake in my driveway at its worst point.

I had to stop working in December, and that has been hard on me. It's not like I just loved work, but I never realized until recently what a toll it takes on you not being around people every day. As a result, I've spent more time around my family, but I still sometimes get really lonely during the week when everyone is working and I'm not.
      Diagnosed 1/4/13
      Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

Chose to "medically retire" last year... I'm 47. Best part is that I was cleared by my neuro to try a couple of 4 hour shifts per week but my employer's LTD rules are as such... if I couldn't return (gradually) to full time hours, I'd be considered a part time employee, and part timers aren't eligible for benefits (mine and my family's medicine, dental, etc. and LTD pay). COpaxone alone costs more $ each month than I earned, but I loved working.

As I'm still an employee, I have access to things like technology training, seminars, etc. but will NEVER return to work! My employer won't go out of business either as they are our Municipal Government...

So here I sit, as full time is out of the question, with an employer, but not able to work due to this rule. Grrrrrr! Sounds like a bad country song.... "I'm employed but don't have a job"

Jen
        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Hardest thing to relinquish was my career. I found that 99% of my identity was linked to my career. I hate this monster of a disease!
          Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

For me, the most drastic thing was the job. I was a manager and I was mentally and physically challenged daily. I quit last year 01/02/12.

The personally worse thing is not going out on a boat on a 100 degree day and spending the whole day in the sunshine.

This monster does suck the life out of me.
            DIAGNOSED=2012
            ISSUES LONG BEFORE
            REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

I am lucky, as I haven't had to take any drastic measures, just small changes one step at a time, which I might have made anyway as I've gotten older. Perhaps the most drastic thing, and it isn't much, is though I am working in Arizona I still see my neurologist in North Carolina. I fly back east regularly and it is worth it for keeping the same good MS neurologist.

OP, I am very attached to my stick shift Subaru, and glad that I can still drive it despite right foot drop, so I "feel your pain." Have you considered something like crowdfunding to raise the money for your wheelchair? Might be more successful at getting the money you need than a local restaurant, or you could do both.

Good luck in whatever path you choose, and I will keep you in my prayers. (has anyone else noticed their prayer list is getting very long?)

Comment

I like Kim Komando and she recommended GoFundMe
                you can read more information at her site
                it is crowd fundraising through the internet

if this is OK this is the site

good luck

**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to UserCP > Edit Details**

Comment

local 'craiglist' for manual wheelchair for about $100

I am so sorry you are going through all this stuff. Several years ago, I finally realized that I at least needed a manual wheelchair. Then on a whim, I found one on 'craigslist' in our area. So I called, and my husband took me to their house, to see if it was a usable size for me. Have someone go with you. I don't want you going into a home by yourself. I required the nice people to show us the chair, while we were outside.

So for $70 dollars, I got a chair, which I can still use several years later. And later I did buy a chair for $100 at
                  'walgreens,' which I keep in the house. But I do need an electric one for the house now, so I'll keep looking on 'craiglist.'

Comment

Originally posted by fishead View Post
                    Hardest thing to relinquish was my career. I found that 99% of my identity was linked to my career. I hate this monster of a disease!
                    I TOTALLY AGREE!! It seems like thats what has been the hardest thing to let go of for most of us. BTW fishead, my oldest daughters name is Felicia and we call her "Fish".

I hadn't heard of Gofundme, thanks for that info. I will definitely look into it! As for finding a used chair on Craigslist, when I first started to need a chair thats what I did but now that I need to use it 90% of the time, it really needs to be a chair that is fit to my measurements. It makes a huge difference!
                    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"

Dx 2004, Copx, Rebif, Ty Beta- I'm done!!

Comment

Working...
                    X