Dx'ed after 50 progresses faster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
    Here's a study that says progression of MS is faster in younger patients: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6606140
    ~ Faith
    Oops Faith I think maybe you read the report wrong? It says that "Progression of disability was more rapid than in younger patients." So more rapid after 50. The report is 30 years old so it would be nice if that had changed but the NMSS says its still true.

Comment

I SO agree with fishhead. I ws just diagnosed in November of 2012, then told maybe not and then told yeah I have MS. I am 55. OK, so not the answer I wanted..what to do? I will treat it the same way I treat every roadblock I run in to. I will learn everything I can about it, I will follow Drs orders and take care of my health to the best of my ability and I will live everyday to its fullest.

I suspect I have had this for a long time, actually I suspect my mother had it but she was so freaked out by the MRI machine they could never get one taken. 20 years ago I was told I had fibromyalgia when my hands went freaky & I had a hard time writing. I suspect I have had it since then if not before. I do know that after that diagnosis I started walking every day. When I walk everyday I feel a million times better than if I don't. Luckily I don't have any gait issues at this time.

I'm not on any medication yet, that is for the next appt 4/1 (appropriate huh?). I am going to request to be put on LDN and wait for BG-12. I have an unreal fear of needles. If that doesn't work we'll proceed from there.

I have been under more stress than any human should have to endure for the past 5 years and I suspect that is what caused this monster to raise its ugly head now. The source of my stress is now gone, dealing with the fallout. But I refuse to buckle, and I refuse to shed even 1 tear because it isn't going to make anything any better. This is something I am convinced can be managed.

I have a friend who had an aunt that had MS and lived to be 92...my goal is to do the same. I may not make it but I am going to give it ***

Comment

Oops!

~ Faith

Originally posted by MSer102 View Post
        Oops Faith I think maybe you read the report wrong? It says that "Progression of disability was more rapid than in younger patients." So more rapid after 50. The report is 30 years old so it would be nice if that had changed but the NMSS says its still true.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

It really doesn't matter what anyone says, even the MS society because no one can say how you will do.

But what are YOU doing? Are you otherwise in the best health you can be? Are you eating well, I mean really well - not just eating broccoli every so often and only eating half your slice of cake? Are you exercising? How is your cholesterol, blood pressure or blood sugar? Those things are more in your control than MS and may be more important in the not-so-long-run.

You might want to look into an MS diet as well. http://www.overcomingmultiplescleros...gram-Overview/

Comment

Working...
          X