Chronic cough & allergy/sinus issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chronic cough & allergy/sinus issues

I’ve always had seasonal allergies & sinus issues. About 3 or 4 years ago, prior to my dx, I got what I thought was a sinus infection. I was running a low grade fever with it & the doctor put me on an antibiotic. I had also developed this horrible cough. I would literally just hack & cough in the mornings like my body was trying to clear something out but nothing would come up. It was horrible.

It seemed to clear up with the antibiotic but then came right back, he gave me another round of the same antibiotic, same thing happened.

I was sent to an ENT. The ENT put me on a stronger antibiotic & said if that didn’t work, I would have to do a round of steroids. If that didn’t work, a CT scan would be done. Cleared up but came right back with antibiotics so I did the steroids & that kicked it out for good.

I also developed a routine of taking Mucinex, decongestant and allergy pills daily. I found this sort of aggressive treatment kept my sinus issues at bay. Unfortunately, I slipped & stopped taking the allergy & decongestant. Seasons are changing & guess what, it’s back.

I have post nasal drip that has formed a lump in my throat with the same annoying cough. When I talk to much, I keep feeling like I have to swallow.

All the symptoms are exactly the same as before. Some of the symptoms I had before that I have now again are a feeling of being tired, if I walk too much I feel weak and like I have to rest. No fever so far and otherwise I feel fine.

I started taking the allergy pills & decongestant again in hopes of catching it early. But I am wondering if this is more of a respiratory issue. Pneumonia was ruled out last time and I have an appt. with my primary next week anyway so he can listen to my lungs. I’m just wondering if it’s normal allergy stuff but I’m just not able to clear it out like I should. I read online that this is common with people with MS due to muscle weakness.

Sorry for the long winded description. I’m just really curious to see if anyone else has had these issues & if so, who do you go to? ENT? Neurologist?
    Diagnosed: May 2012
    Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
    Plegridy - starting 12/14

I had some allergy testing done a few years ago and the allergy doctor told me that when someone has sinus or digestion or skin problems that mysteriously won't go away or do and keep coming back the person might have food sensitivities. He said that sensitivities are different than allergies and that they don't show up on allergy tests because they don't work the same way as allergies.

The problems keep coming back if the person is still eating the same foods. He said that dairy products are a common problem with a lot of people. I've read a lot after that that gluten is too. Its not a gluten "allergy" so it doesn't show up on a test. He said the best way to find out what it might be is to stop eating a food for 6 weeks and see what happens. Then you have to try another one and see what happens.

Actually my veterinarian had me do the same thing with my dog to find out what was making her itchy and upsetting her digestion after allergy tests didn't show anything. We found some things and she got much better.

I've read about people's skin problems and IBS clearing up when they stopped eating foods they were sensitive to. So maybe you could try stopping different foods like gluten and dairy and see if the mysterious infections get any better? The allergy doctor might be right and it worked really well with my dog. You won't know if you don't try it.

Comment

After many years of steroids and antibiotics every spring, I discovered that potatoes set of my sinusitis/hay fever. The rest of the year I can eat as many potatoes as I like but I can't go near them in spring. The really funny part about it all was that the potatoes were the exact same ones I'd been eating for months previously, but it just seemed that together with the spring grasses etc it was an overload situation. I don't know whether this will help you, but it could be worth a try.

Comment

I recommend seeing your allergist again. If you have not seen an allergist, you need one. They will tell you, better than an ENT, what is causing this ongoing allergy/illness. You might also try what the other OP suggested and go without dairy. Dairy is the largest producer of mucous in humans.

Anyway, for sure check out an allergist.

Take care
        Lisa
        Moderation Team
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

Have you seen a pulmonologist?

That's where I got sent when I had a mystery wheeze/cough issue several years ago. He didn't figure out what it was, but that was his specialty...
          1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
          NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Funny you posted this! I am dealing with the exact same issues right now! I have always had allergies and had allergy shots as a child and again as an adult.

I just got a call from my allergist last night, he had done some bloodwork last week to check my immune system. Apparently the test shows I am not making antibodies to some bacteria or something. I have to go for a pneumonia vaccine next week and then he is going to repeat the bloodwork in 4 weeks.

I am currently on 20 days of Cipro which is a strong antibiotic. My allergy doctor is also an immunologist so maybe you need to try seeing one of those.

I am hoping he can get some answers and a solution out of this testing.

Comment

Thank you for everyone's responses! I see my primary next week so I may talk it over with him.

@Poppy, that is so odd about the potatoes! I never would have thought you could be allergic at only a certain time of year. Must be the combination of the food & something in the air.
              Diagnosed: May 2012
              Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
              Plegridy - starting 12/14

Comment

Working...
              X