Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions needed

Hi all,

I have a question that I definitely haven't seen mentioned here before now. This doesn't concern me and my MS but I thought some of you might have been in this situation in the past.

Getting ready to take my mom to the Cleveland Clinic hopefully for Dx of some really weird symptoms. She has already spent 10 days in hospital being tested for anything/everything under the care of a local Neuro without any luck.

Anyway, my question concerns her three paid caregivers.
    We have no idea how long we will need to be at the clinic. It doesn't seem fair to me for these caregivers to be unpaid while we're gone, especially if we expect them to still be there for us when we return. However, other family members say that it's completely normal and goes along with the nature of the job for them to b unpaid while their employers are in the hospital.

BTW, none of the caregivers work for an agency, etc, and all three are excellent employees that we were lucky to find.

Opinions/ideas please......
    Dx 3/4/12. Tec X 2 as of 7/7/13
    Weebles wobble and occasionally they DO fall down!

I am a single mom of a 4 year old who has breathing issues ... when she is in the hospital or out of school I still have to pay her daycare which is 210 a week ... it frustrates me because she isn't there but I understand because it "saves" her place.

IMO - if they don't have another person to care for and you guys expect them to be there when your mom returns then you should pay them. They are not asking for the break ... OK does make sense? Sorry if it sounds harsh.
    Jan 2012 - Onset of ON
    Feb 2013 - 2nd DX of ON
    March 2013 - 5 days IV steroids
    April 2013 - 5 days IV steroids
    June 5, 2013 - DX of RMMS

Comment

I used to work for an agency - very low paying, but I loved my clients. When they went into the hospital I lost hours and didn't get paid, which caused me problems financially. If you can afford to continue to pay her caregivers I'm sure they would really appreciate it. It also may insure that they are still there for your Mom.

Jen

Comment

Thanks for the input. Makes perfect sense to me. These are the most important people to me at the present time.

They are wonderful and take great care of my elderly mother. In fact, two of them worked with us until Aug 2012 when my father passed away. When mom became ill, they left their agencies and came back to us!

They will b taken care of also......
        Dx 3/4/12. Tec X 2 as of 7/7/13
        Weebles wobble and occasionally they DO fall down!

Comment

I would not expect anyone to wait around without being paid even in "on call" situations the person is compensated.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

I can't think of money more well spent than compensating those who provide loving care for your mother, and who also cared for your father. It's a demanding job that requires dedicated people who have a very special spirit.

Comment

Originally posted by MSW1963 View Post
              I can't think of money more well spent than compensating those who provide loving care for your mother, and who also cared for your father. It's a demanding job that requires dedicated people who have a very special spirit.
              Wonderful sentiments, I couldn't agree more!
              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
              Anonymous

Comment

Working...
              X