EEG Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EEG Question

During my recent hospitalization, they did an EEG. My Neuro (only 3 more months till I finally see new Neuro!) mentioned that my brain waves were "alittle slow" and that I should start thinking of disability.

Because he & I don't communicate well, there was no further explaination.

Does any one know if slowing brain waves is a complication of MS. What does it mean?

I feel like my main issues are physical, don't really see any change (normally) in Cog Fog.

Any thoughts would be appreicated.

Myelin on nerves is like insulation on a wire. Without insulation the speed of the electricity goes down. So when myelin comes off nerves the speed of the electricity through the nerve goes down. Since MS is partly myelin coming off nerves it makes sense that the brain waves can be a little slow. The VEP for MS measures how fast the electricity travels through the parts of the brain where vision goes so I think that the speed thing kind of speaks for itself.

So slow brain waves doesn't seem like a surprise but getting disability just because of a test result is pretty far out there! Disability is based on what you can and can't do not on one test result. It doesn't sound like that neuro knows what he's talking about so it makes sense that the two of you don't communicate well. Maybe this is something you'll have to leave for the next neuro?

Comment

Actually I have had the same results. A "slow waves" on EEG is what I was told also. They had to rule out epilepsy, but did say I had an abnormal EEG. I was on anti seizure meds for awhile and with the signs dissapating, then removed from those meds.

I do have cognitive issues, but it is hard to establish that notion besides self report and parts of testing from a neuro psychological evaluation. Mine is slightly worse but reflects in the low end of normal on most items.

So you could have a neuro psych eval for a baseline. But that does not mean you would get SSDI. In fact, put getting that and work as long as you can. It isn't much money.

ASK your neuro what it means so YOU know. You deserve to know.

Hope you can improve and this is not where you'll stay.
      Let us know how you are doing.

Jan
      I believe in miracles~!
      2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
      Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Thanks for your help! I have no desire to go on disability (not for a while yet). Hopefully, the new Neuro will be able to communicate better. I think the one I see now just looks for the easy way out.

thanks again!

Comment

Working...
        X