Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Numb Patch in Leg...

Hi Everyone,

I guess I am new to the forums so hello and thanks for reading my post. Sometime ago, perhaps 1.5 years now, something happened to cause a patch inside my lower right leg almost into the ankle area to go numb. Now, when I get overheated or over do it the numbness comes on.

It's not the "outside" so if you touched my leg I can feel your hand, but rather the inside of the leg. I feel almost like I am dragging my leg and if you put a needle inside that I wouldn't feel it. I have no idea what first brought this on. So even getting over heated cleaning my house brings will cause this numbness. The problem is, I am afraid whatever first caused this is going to cause more damage if I keep getting over heated. Does that make sense? I feel like I can't even leave the house anymore in the summer because the heat will cause the numb patch.

I ride a motorcycle and last year I hardly left my house in the summer because I'm so afraid of this stinking numb patch getting "bigger" and eventually making my whole leg numb. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Sorry, I'm just mad because it came on again this weekend after doing some spring cleaning and well...dang it all. Lee

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Lee: That is just an area of old damage and that is why it flares up every time you get hot. The good news is that getting hot, while miserable for us at the time, is harmless. It does not make MS worse (cause more lesions), or more damage. It just makes us feel bad and can give us a pseudoflare. Not a real flare.

One thing you can do is get a cooling vest for the summer, or even for chores. It will cut down on the numbness since your core temp will be lower.

Good luck and feel better
    Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Thanks Lisa. I have been so worried that I am causing more damage every time I get overheated that I feel like I am keeping myself in limbo and limiting what I do. I appreciate you replying and I will remember not to get upset when the "patch" appears. Just keep my wits about me and know that it will eventually go away! Things can always be worse! Thanks much!!

Comment

Hi Harleebb,

I noticed you were new to the site so I just wanted to say Hello and Welcome.
        When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

riding a motorcycle

Hey, when I was riding, I was diagnosed with ms.

When I developed my Optic Neuritis, my left knee was numb as well. I was told it was due to my motorycle shaking from the motor.

Now, I kind of know it was related to MS, and my exacerbation.
          New study on vaping
          http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23237736
          *****BEST INFO BELOW*******
          http://pharmrev.aspetjournals.org/content/58/3/389.full
          http://ripatients.org/cms/uploads/File/MS/Clark_2004_MSandCannabis.pdf

Comment

HARLEEBB,

It makes sense that you worry about your leg. MS takes so much away from us, and if riding your motorcycle is one of your ways of enjoying life it is perfectly reasonable that you worry about a "numb patch". I think what 22 cyclist said is quite true, getting hot does not cause your MS to do anything. My wish for you , is that your legs remain very healthy & you continue to enjoy riding your bike.
            Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Working...
            X