Is this spasticity??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this spasticity??

I have had MS for over 30 yrs, with mostly sensory symptoms, and some balance issues. I have had only one relapse in this time, about 4 yrs ago. Since that time, there has been very slow progression of sensory symptoms and balance issues. You wouldnt know I have MS just to look at me. My legs and arms do get very tired, after very little exertion. It feels like I have run a marathon after walking two blocks.
    Last weekend, we went to a park, and walked a fair amount, probably 1 to 3 miles, on flat ground. I felt very tired, and noticed a feeling of stiffness, but pushed myself. Later that night, my leg and hip joint hurt a lot, and the next day, it felt like I had pulled a big muscle in the back of my leg. Over the course of hte week, it got better.

Yesterday, I felt the same stiffness while I was doing stuff, nothing strenuous. Today, my leg has that pulled muscle feeling.
    Am I just so out of shape that any exertion actually pulls muscles? Is this spasticity? Is this MS?
    I realilzed today that I have to start each day with stretching. I learned that in PT awhile back, but sort of stopped.
    Anyone? Thanks....

Good question! I hope that someone will answer it for you. I hope that you start to feel better and that you enjoyed your family walk.

Comment

Sounds like spasticity causing your "pulled muscle syndrome" after you strain tight legs. You are right, the best thing for that is stretching, in the morning, and before you do a lot of walking. If it continues you might consider speaking to your neurologist about it for an adjustment in your spasticiy meds.

Good luck
      Lisa
      Moderation Team
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Yes, see your neuro about this. For me, it started with tight, tight muscles for years (hypertone). Then it caused my ankles to lock up for periods of time. Now it is in my back and neck, along with my neck. I get spasms whenever I try to walk, mostly in stores. I take my meds ahead of time to try and control these spasms.

I didn't know at first that the hypertone was part of spasticity. But this is my biggest symptom now for the least 3 years.

I am on Baclofen and supplement with less drowsy med, Skelaxin. I also take anti-inflammatory for my back pain which is Diclofenac. It often take a combo of meds to get the spasticity under control AND there is a Baclofen pump if you qualify for it.

This combo of meds, I believe, helped get my MS hug under control too.

So see your neuro for the this and maybe you'll feel better soon. Let us know how you are doing.

Warmly, Jan
        I believe in miracles~!
        2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
        Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Working...
        X