Hair loss, anyone else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hair loss, anyone else?

I have been experiencing a lot of hair loss, much more than normal and it's kind of scaring me...lots in the shower and then all throughout the day. I have tried researching the internet but haven't found much. I was hospitalized in Dec. with IV steroids (3 days and then 5 days) am now taking gabapentin, baclofen, and clonazepam. I had my first tysabri infusion last month. Has anyone had similar experiences or found that that it was a side effect from one of these drugs? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

When I was on the injectible medicines many years ago a lot of my hair fell out but it grew back. And now every time I have to do steroids I drop a TON of hair but it always grows back. I had one Tysabri infusion right before it got pulled from the market back in 1995? but I don't remember if any hair fell out then.

Before that when I was in high school I used to drop hair and eyelashes and my dermatologist figured out it was an autoimmune response like alopecia areata. But it grew back and I still have enough hair now I think.

Comment

My hair is also falling out like crazy. I think it must be from the injectible meds. I was at a women's ms meeting a couple years ago and they were also talking about hair loss. Mine seems to go in cycles. Right now I'm losing a lot and even considering going to a salon that works with hair loss in women to get their opinion. My dermatologist even gave me a b-12 shot, but that didn't do anything. I do remember my dermatologist saying that past tragic events can trigger the hair loss. I can't remember if it was 3 or 6 months that she mentioned. But if you were really sick in December, then maybe that's why your hair is coming out now. It will probably get better. Mine definitely goes in cycles. You can always tell your doctor and they may have some suggestions too.

Comment

I was on Tysabri for 36 months and never experienced hair loss. (just my journey, but thought you would want to know)
        Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

I am on Ty and my hair falls out quite regularly in the shower, but not otherwise, like on my pillow or anything else. I don't know if it is from the Ty or not, but it started after I had been on it a couple of months. So, it seems so for me.

Lisa
          Moderation Team
          Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
          SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
          Tysabri

Comment

I'm on Beta & have noticed I have fewer hairs on my head and more scalp is visible. I haven't had steroids for several years so I chalk the loss up to my DMD.
            DX 10/2008
            Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
            Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
            Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

I've also been losing lots of hair. I'm on Lyrica and Baclofen.
              When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

For what it's worth

My hair loss, I believe, was due to lack of b12. My PCP tried to tell me that it was probably Copaxone, but once I started injecting b12 monthly along with daily sublingual (methyl kind), I haven't been experiencing it anymore. All of a sudden I noticed that it was no longer falling out in chunks. My neuropathy in my hands and feet is also substaintally better, and my doc told me that the neuropathy was due to ms. Ms is the cause for many things, but it can also be an easy out.....

Comment

Interesting! I've been losing less hair since I've increased my B12.

Comment

Originally posted by CaroleL View Post
                    Have your thyroid levels checked...again if they were already tested. This could be the cause. Baclofen and Lyrica do not usually cause hair loss.

Good luck
                    Lisa
                    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
                    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
                    Tysabri

Comment

Thank you all for responding....this helps! Didn't even think about my thyroid...my mom, aunt and cousin take medicine to regulate theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by CaroleL View Post
                        CaroleL, that is interesting. Thank you for sharing that with us.
                        Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

I have been loosing my hair in cycles for at least 9 years now, the first time it happened it was the classic bald circles, then it was more like Alopecia Aereata were its more like a drastic thinning all over. It is said that auto immune diseases like company and if you have one it is highly likely you will get another, 1 year after I started looseing my hair I had my first sx of MS.
                          Kathy
                          2004 pos/MS 2006 Pos/MS also Pos/Crazy 14/01/2012 here we go againDx RRMS 21/06/2012

Comment

Originally posted by 22cyclist View Post
                            Have your thyroid levels checked...again if they were already tested. This could be the cause. Baclofen and Lyrica do not usually cause hair loss.
                            That's definitely on "the menu". Thank you!

Fishead, you're welcome!

Comment

I've had tons of hair loss since I started Tysabri. What has helped me is natural Biotin Shampoo. I use Avalon Organics that I get online from Vitacost.

Comment

Working...
                              X