Muscle cramp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muscle cramp question

Is a muscle cramp the same as spatisity (sp?) For the past several days I have been having cramps in my right foot and toes! To the point I cannot make my toes move for a few seconds to a minute. I am wondering if this is MS related...

It feel like charlie horses as my dad will call them.

If so I suppose I will have to call this a new symptom, this disease is making me crazy!!!!

My toes too!

Lisa: I can't answer the question about spasticity versus cramps but I also get leg, foot and toe cramps. That, along with speech and memory issues are what finally got me dxd.

I will wake up with my toes (both feet or just one or the other) pointing in different directions. My foot will then tighten and I can't get out of bed cause movement makes it worse. I have actually woken up screaming with this. Sometimes my big toe will just start "levitating" and I have to hold it down with the other foot to keep my foot and other toes from cramping but if both feet are doing it, I have to stand up and wait it out.

My neuro put me neurontin at first which was a miracle drug for me but I had significant side effects and had to stop. Now I take baclofen which helps but isn't as effective for me as neurontin (gabapentin) was.

I also try to figure out the difference between spasticity and cramping but haven't found an explanation that I understand yet (cog issues). Hopefully someone will answer your post who can do that for you and me.

Good luck, Sue

Comment

I think so. I also get foot and toe cramps. One time my toes formed a triangle shape and locked that way for several minutes- scary. When I feel a foot cramp coming on, I have to stand up and put weight on it for a while, seems to help it go away faster.

Comment

Yikes! leg cramps

What a great question Lisa! I always thought of spasticity similar to movement of a person with Cerebral Palsy, kind of jerky, not smooth..
        When I looked up the definition (a spastic state or condition; especially: muscular hypertonicity with increased tendon reflexes ) It sounds to me like those awful leg cramps can be included..

Whatever, I also suffer from leg/toe cramps..the worst are when it's in my thighs ..I too get the most relief by jumping up and standing on the affected limb....I must confess I have used the bar of soap under the sheets' method for many years. It has decreased the number of leg cramps but not 'cured' them...google it you'll find lots of 'testimony'

Take care
        Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

My mom uses the bar of soap thing too.

Comment

Bar of soap?

I have never heard of that one. Tell me about what you know and understand about it please.

I have, since, Christmas, developed sever spastic-type symptoms mostly in my rt. hip and leg. I started with Tylenol. Then I found that simple Aspirin stopped the pain for four hours and man, do my muscles and tendons know when that fourth hour of protection rolls around. Now I am taking on tablet of Oxycodone that was left over from a previous surgery. I take one in the AM to get to the point that I can do my stretching exercises. And one at night to keep the pain down so I can sleep. I try to keep it at that as this drug is highly addictive.

I can't get in to see my neuro until next month. They have been manageable but each day they get worse. I am trying to stay out of the emergency room. I only hope I can until my appt.

I am a MS ret. Clinical Psych RN and treating myself is not as great as I hoped but the "system" has forced me into that mode.

My dau. introduced me to a Magnesium/Calcium mixture that you put a tsp. in Orange juice before bed. So far I haven't tried it but she swears that it has completely stopped her leg jerks and nightly cramps. I think she gets it at the Vitamin store. ??? That is my next treatment as I don't want to go any further with the Oxycondone.

Don't know if any of this is of any benefit but so far Asprin every four hours has worked best for me. I even set up a dose in the bathroom because if I don't I can't even walk in the AM.

Good luck. But above all you need to see a professional and get the pro advice. Not from a ret. RN trying to treat themselves until they can get in to see the Neurlo.
            Dave, Tampa, FL
            "Journeyman"

Comment

Working...
            X