The Spoon Theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Spoon Theory

I just came across this and felt that it was a fantastic article about how fatigue works with an unseen disease.

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/wpress/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/"]The Spoon Theory/

Sorry, let me try that again:

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/wp...-spoon-theory/

Comment

The Spoon Theory and How Does MS Feel ttp://www.howdoesmsfeel.com/ are two of my favorites.

I have linked to them from my MS Walk page, and also posted the links on my FaceBook. They have affected others I know who are affected by debilitating illnesses, and have helped some others understand MS a little better.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostgirl View Post
        I just came across this and felt that it was a fantastic article about how fatigue works with an unseen disease.

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/wpress/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/"]The Spoon Theory/
        ghostgirl,

It has been a few years since I have seen the "Spoon Theory" talked about, here. THANK YOU for "bringing it back"
        Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

You are most welcome fishead. I didn't see it when I searched. It is a great article to share.

Comment

ghostgirl,

Indeed it IS a good article.
            Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

I had to use the spoon theory to get my husband and kids to understand when I say I am not up to something, it is not because I am being lazy or depressed.

It worked wonders with my bunch.

Comment

a new day, a new number of spoons!

I have found the spoon theory to be a great way to explain this to many people who just don't understand. Thanks for putting it here again!

The only problem I have is figuring out how many spoons I actually have every day! lol

Comment

I haven't laughed so hard in months - just what I needed on a day I've spent most of it crying. "How does MS feel" sums it up perfectly. Might even have to try one or two things out on the kids so they know how Mum is feeling on a bad day.

Poppy

Comment

The Spoon Theory actually is the most useful tool I've found for explaining MS. I actually used it for an end-of-semester speech I had to give in my Medical Anthropology class a year ago I think. I had a girl who had been a royal pain in the butt all semester come up to me after in tears and apologize that she was so insensitive about people with invisible illnesses. She had spent all semester bashing on people with invisible illnesses and saying it was all an excuse or not as bad as they acted it was. Talk about being speechless when you realize that sharing a tool that helps to explain your own disease actually changes someone. Keep the Spoon Theory alive. Share it with people. Sometimes it can be the best thing to do if you actually use it to "show" someone your disease.
                    Dx RR MS - April 1st, 2010. (19 yrs old)
                    Words To Live By: "Fall Seven Times; Stand Up Eight."

Comment

Working...
                    X