Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diet soda wars anyone else have calls today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Rushy!!!!

You seem to be the only one that actually "GOT" my ? It was ONLY "did anyone get a rush of information" recently!!!
    I was not implying it any way that the diet soda or sugar substitute caused MS or even contributed to it as I am "not" a research scientist, doctor or nutritionist!!! It does rear it's ugly head from year to year as I remember.

As well as, numerous food groups. First they are good for you, then bad and if you wait long enough they can perhaps be good again. Thus being the point. I never realized that asking a question about others receiving information would cause me to be "foolish or ignorant" but perhaps that could actually be caused by using the computer engaging my fingers before my brain. Who actually KNOWS what causes anything since the world was originally flat till they sailed numerous times and did prove it to be round.

We still need more proof about lots of things. My favorite is that if we all take a positive approach to life and try to laugh at least once a day we "might" feel better. I personally find for me laughter is the best medicine and will continue to use it no matter what anyone else thinks about life style, diet, excercise or books to reads, doctors to believe in or not.

It just plain works for my sense of peace so I send joy, laughter and happiness out to you all. If you need it and CHOOSE to receive it grab hold and laugh. If not let it float by to someone else that chooses to have a bit of humor in their life today or in the future.

Sending blessings and humor to all

Comment

I was addicted for years to diet Coke and Pepsi. I drank four to five of them a day. In February of last year, I decided to start eating healthy and that meant giving up my beloved diet sodas. It was difficult at first, especially when I would go out to eat, but I figured how could that many chemicals in one can be good for you? Plus, according to research, they actually cause you to GAIN weight, not lose it.

It's been over a year now since I had a diet soda or any type of soda for that matter. I drink only ice water. And I feel worlds better. I don't know if it was the soda or the fact that I've lost almost 50 lbs or perhaps because I got my Vitamin D levels up from 26 to 63, but the majority of my symptoms are gone.

I don't know if aspertame causes MS or contributes to the symptoms or not. But why take any chances?
      Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
      Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
      Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Just to make my points clear, I want to apologize, in advance if my post (my opinions) offend anyone here. I am simply weighing in on this subject to say that this is a case of ' the straw that broke the camels' back'.
        Let's agree that there may be no empirical evidence that aspartame causes any disease, which I believe could be true. But I don't believe that being obese or smoking tobacco or any other single thing 'causes' a person to 'get' MS. I will argue that if you aren't working to 'positively' effect your personal health, then you are doing the opposite. I feel strongly that every thing I can do to effect a positive change in my lifestyle, I am going to to just that. I wish you all the best. Good luck

Comment

Thanks Jerry for your response. You are so right IMHO!

I personally don't believe diet soda or anyother specific diet CAUSES MS. The powers that be really don't know the whys at this point. I believe according to research, that it does appear to have some effect if you are way above the equator. Why I have no idea. I'm not sure of the specific location of the most cases but think it is some place like Norway, Sweden etc. being in the cold environment. That being said, that too can change as we all see folks from many locations with MS.

I too agree that doing what ever you can whenever you can to HELP yourself and try to keep a positive attitude can only help the situation as it would even if you don't have MS! lol

I was speaking in regard to the fact that every few years the soda thing comes up. Not specific in regards to MS but just in general.

Thank you so very much to clarifing you point. I now get it. Sorry however, I do have cognative issues more than I would like to admit even to myself. lol he he

Comment

I'm glad I ran across this post as I am newly diagnosed and was wondering if my long-term addiction to diet pepsi has anything to do with me now having MS.

From what I gathered reading this probably not but I do have one question. I am trying to back off drinking so much diet pepsi does anyone have any pointers on how I can accomplish this withoput turning into a raving witch on wheels?

My neuro has not started me on treatment yet (that's coming 4/1-how appropriate) but I am trying live a healthier lifestyle. When I cook I make everything from scratch (with the exception of the occasional cake), I have joined a gym and am going 4x a week and have cut out most of the cutable fat & sugar in my diet. The diet pop is the last hurdle (I think) and for me the hardest to conquer.

Any tip would be greatly appreciated

Comment

Anyone know anything about "Aspertame Poisioning"? I read that there is a pill that doctors can give that fight the poisioning.

I read this info in an article that was on an MS Facebook support group.

It was the experience of one of the people that belonged to the group. The person was in a position that they could hardly walk anymore. One suggestion was to see if they had aspertame poisioning. (person consumed large amounts of diet soda / day).

The aspertame detox pill(i guess you would call it that) was given and within a few weeks the person was gaining mobility and able to get around without assisstance.

Just wondering if anyone knows of such a thing???

Comment

Kshloss- I have been giving up soda by switching to carbonated water. I love carbonation!!

I got a soda stream and use it to make "bubbly water" as I like to call it. Then I add a splash of lemon or lime.

For the caffeine part, I've started drinking tea in the morning. If I have it my way, I'll drink diet coke a couple times through out the day. Tea gives me the caffeine I want and then I can have some bubbly water whenever the craving strikes.

I figure, upping water intake never hurts. But.. I still love Diet Coke... a lot!!!!! I won't lie.
                Symptoms Oct 2009, Dx Feb 2010. betaseron 2/10-2/12. Copaxone 3/12- present.

Comment

I think the aspartame-MS thing is just another "blame the victim" tactic. Yet another reason why it is our own fault we have MS.

Absent strong and convincing scientific evidence, I'll stick with moderation in all things. If I want a diet Pepsi occasionally I'll have one, but I won't be drinking a gallon every day. I also won't be eliminating aspartame from my diet completely because of some scaremongering email.

Comment

not diet soda, but sugarless gum

Every time I see one particular acquaintance, she asks me if I'm still chewing sugarless gum, because THAT is the cause of my MS! I've told her several times that I've asked my neuro about that and she (rolled her eyes, and)gave her blessing to me continuing to chew the gum. I chew maybe 1-2 pieces a day.

Luckily I rarely see this acquaintance so I don't have to deal with the annoyance very often.

Comment

Originally posted by andi b View Post
                      Every time I see one particular acquaintance, she asks me if I'm still chewing sugarless gum, because THAT is the cause of my MS!
                      You might ask the acquaintance what was causing MS back in the 1400's when there wasn't any artificial sweetners

Yes, MS was discovered that far back
                      Diagnosed 1984
                      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
                      X