Weirdest vision question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weirdest vision question

Did I imagine it or have I previously read about an MS vision symptom that is seeing too things as too beautiful, clearly, sunny? Almost like being on drugs. Has nothing to do w my mood. Almost too much visual input for my brain to accept!

I know this sounds really weird. I'm not complaining...just trying to figure out if something's going on MS-wise.
    Examples: I'm noticing brick patterns in buildings, handicap placards on cars 200 yds away, curtains in windows 2 blocks away, signs in restaurant windows in a shopping center across the highway. Almost like getting new glasses for the first time in 10 years!

Has anyone else run across this?
    Dx 3/4/12. Tec X 2 as of 7/7/13
    Weebles wobble and occasionally they DO fall down!

Leeaura, I've never seen a symptom like this mentioned and never had it myself. A call to you neuro might be a good idea, when dealing with the brain all kinds of different things can come up. It sounds kind of cool though. Take care Dale
    Dale in NC, dx'ed 2000, now SPMS

Comment

Brain signals. Long but educational.

WARNING: I love to teach and I love to talk a lot or so says my wife. So the following is an educational post but long.

I just read an article yesterday regarding something like what you are seeing.

The lady wrote about things she saw in her blind area similar to what you saw. The Opth-Neuro told her that her visual brain was adding to the input signals what it thought should be there.

When I was first diagnosed with MS I went blind in my right eye. The Neuro. ordered an eye patch for a month for me and not to drive. After about three days while riding in the car with my wife I noticed that I could see clearly in both eyes even with the black eye patch on.

I am a Clinical Psychiatric RN. I knew that people who have limbs amputated still have "perceived" feeling in the missing limb. I once took care of a little boy who had his leg amputated at the knee. He asked me to rub that foot for him as his "toes" were itching and felt like he had ants on them.

The brain is such a magical place. That's why I was in the field I was in unfortunately I am no longer able to work thanks to my MS.

When I first lost my sight I had some other fascinating effects. One night in the middle of the night I got up to use the bathroom and noticed in the darkness there was a "blue-print" of my room. There were the dressers, edge of the bed and door frame of the bathroom. I though if I was seeing just the dim stuff in the room I should be able to see my illuminated alarm clock. I looked to see it and only the outline of the dresser was there. I walked to my living room and the blue-print of it and the furniture was there. I turned to look back into the bedroom and the outlines were no longer there.

I reasoned that this might be how blind people may navigate objects so effectively. Also that my blind eye side of the brain was doing the interpretation. I have read that people who have lost a limb still have the blue-print active in their brain and give the input it thinks should be there.

Like the first lady I wrote about and my blue-prints disappeared after about six months to a year when the brain learned the truth. Now mine just ignores that side of my missing vision. It has learned the truth.

Perhaps in you the MS is playing with your vision and the visual brain is aware and turned up the "volume" on your input. Just guessing from other's experience. Sounds like something you might want to enjoy while it lasts. I enjoyed my because of my interest in the neuro field. It really sparked my curiosity and I played with it until it disappeared.

Just a guess.

Dave, Tampa, FL
      "journeyman"

Comment

My first symptom was severe double vision, to the extent that my left eye ways not able to look forward. It looked off to the far left, no matter what. I wore an eyepatch for 10 days, until the IV steroids kicked in. Ever since then I feel like my vision is sharper. Like I told my husband, it's like when we switched from standared to HD TV.

Comment

Thanks to those of you that answered. (Journeyman, I LOVE your long, educational responses! Keep em up)!

As all of my symptoms so far are caused by brain lesions, I understand that anything weird can happen. I'm enjoying the good while dealing w the bad. Your response makes perfect sense to me. This symptom is much more enjoyable than smelling dead bodies while standing at Macy's perfume counter. Lol

Have a good tomorrow everyone!
          Dx 3/4/12. Tec X 2 as of 7/7/13
          Weebles wobble and occasionally they DO fall down!

Comment

LEEAURA - a short one for a change.

Love your name. OOOOhhhhh. Yuck. That's a pretty bad smell. In my un-diagnosed years I kept smelling burning electrical wires. Spent a lot of sleep time sniffing electrical sockets.

You take care of you. Thanks for your comments and support. Just remember we all are here for you.
            Dave Tampa, FL
            "Journeyman"

Comment

Originally posted by journeyman View Post
              WARNING: I love to teach and I love to talk a lot or so says my wife. So the following is an educational post but long.

I just read an article yesterday regarding something like what you are seeing.

The lady wrote about things she saw in her blind area similar to what you saw. The Opth-Neuro told her that her visual brain was adding to the input signals what it thought should be there.

When I was first diagnosed with MS I went blind in my right eye. The Neuro. ordered an eye patch for a month for me and not to drive. After about three days while riding in the car with my wife I noticed that I could see clearly in both eyes even with the black eye patch on.

I am a Clinical Psychiatric RN. I knew that people who have limbs amputated still have "perceived" feeling in the missing limb. I once took care of a little boy who had his leg amputated at the knee. He asked me to rub that foot for him as his "toes" were itching and felt like he had ants on them.

The brain is such a magical place. That's why I was in the field I was in unfortunately I am no longer able to work thanks to my MS.

When I first lost my sight I had some other fascinating effects. One night in the middle of the night I got up to use the bathroom and noticed in the darkness there was a "blue-print" of my room. There were the dressers, edge of the bed and door frame of the bathroom. I though if I was seeing just the dim stuff in the room I should be able to see my illuminated alarm clock. I looked to see it and only the outline of the dresser was there. I walked to my living room and the blue-print of it and the furniture was there. I turned to look back into the bedroom and the outlines were no longer there.

I reasoned that this might be how blind people may navigate objects so effectively. Also that my blind eye side of the brain was doing the interpretation. I have read that people who have lost a limb still have the blue-print active in their brain and give the input it thinks should be there.

Like the first lady I wrote about and my blue-prints disappeared after about six months to a year when the brain learned the truth. Now mine just ignores that side of my missing vision. It has learned the truth.

Perhaps in you the MS is playing with your vision and the visual brain is aware and turned up the "volume" on your input. Just guessing from other's experience. Sounds like something you might want to enjoy while it lasts. I enjoyed my because of my interest in the neuro field. It really sparked my curiosity and I played with it until it disappeared.

Just a guess.

Dave, Tampa, FL
              "journeyman"

Just wanted to say it is so good to have you on this board. Thanks for all your input.
              Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Just to add my $.02-- When I encounter loud sudden noises I see "colors" until my brain calms down. It is similar to tossing paint onto a canvas. I am stumped right NOW, as I cannot explain this "phenomena" I have.
                Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Originally posted by fishead View Post
                  Just to add my $.02-- When I encounter loud sudden noises I see "colors" until my brain calms down. It is similar to tossing paint onto a canvas. I am stumped right NOW, as I cannot explain this "phenomena" I have.
                  Its called "noise phosphenes." That one freaked me out a little at first too until my ophthalmologist told me what it was. Then it became another one of "oh, that again."

Leeaura, maybe it would be a good idea to see your ophthalmologist. It could be one of those weird MS things that people with MS like to talk about. But some of the things people have brought up here don't sound like they're the same thing you have so might not have anything to do with what you have. So maybe what your noticing might be something else that doesn't have anything to do with MS. You won't know until your doctor checks you.

I know you might not see any reason to go to the eye doctor when it seems like your vision has gotten better but it might be important to find out why it happened and nobody here really can tell you why.

Comment

MSer102,

Thank your for that bit of info!
                    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Working...
                    X