Disability accommodations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disability accommodations

I read an article on yahoo that talks about people requesting wheelchairs at the airport. They're finding more and more that able bodied people are abusing the service because it gets them through the security check much quicker than if they just got in line and waited their turn as they should.

It also stated that some people do it so they can board the plane first and get the best seat options, or if they arrive late, that wheelchair will get them through security in time to catch their flight. The employees assisting these people say they can generally tell when the request is legit because a lot of the people will just hop on up out of that wheelchair like there's nothing wrong.

Most people commenting on the situation are in agreement that anyone who is fat and requests a wheelchair needs to get off their lazy behind and walk to the terminal because being fat is not a disability. Some also think that airports should charge for the service to weed out the people who really aren't disabled. They're also mad that disabled people don't have to wait in the long lines like everyone else (even though they may have to wait up to a half hour just to get that wheelchair).

As someone who is new to being disabled, I am completely offended by this. It is sickening that people would abuse such a service when they are causing even more problems for the people who actually are disabled. Honestly though, I think the worst part about it is people's reception to the disability accommodations that are available.

If I were at the airport, I'd much rather wait in line and walk through the entire airport than to be stuck with the gimp leg that I have. When I first start walking though, nobody can tell there's anything wrong with me. Plus, I'm overweight and young. I guarantee if I requested the service, everyone (staff included) would look at me and judge me as one of the abusers, even though I'm far from it.

If someone were to push me around in a wheelchair, I would have no problem hopping up from it as if nothing was wrong, unless I happen to lose my balance, which happens quite a bit too, but far from all the time. I actually may be flying later this year, and I expect that I'd completely run myself out of energy, causing my gait to be very unsteady and limp through the airports rather than ask for help just to avoid being judged as some lazy abuser of the system.

It's bad enough to have to live with a disability, and when you have all of these abusers and judgmental idiots, it makes a bad situation 10 times worse.
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

I had the same thought when I read the article. I can walk pretty well up to a point, but not always the entire length of the parking lot and the airport, all the way out to the end of the most distant concourse (which is where my flight usually seems to be).

I've thought of writing Scott McCartney (the Wall Street Journal travel columnist who wrote the article) and pointing out that some people are truly disabled, yet still can stand up and walk through the metal detector, or walk onto the plane. In fact if you use a wheelchair, the pusher and the security screener will usually ask "Can you walk at all?" so they are aware that many disabled people can walk some limited distance.

There will always be some dishonest people, and there is really no legal way for the airline to demand proof of your disability due to confidentiality. Nor can the airline charge for the service because federal law requires the accommodation be provided at no charge.

Comment

Well said!
      I, too, can pop up out of a wheelchair but I can't walk the four blocks it takes to get to the gate these days and I don't think other passengers would appreciate it if I delayed their boarding if I got jostled, lost my balance and fell in their path.
      Plus I need to get a seat near the bathrooms!

Comment

There will always be those who actually get envious of a handicapped parking permit and/or being on LTD. I think they're everywhere so don't worry about being judged by strangers. I'm sure I was one of those people... before MS!
        Jen
        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I haven't experienced the airport glares yet. The last time I flew I had my crutches so people knew my situation. My problem comes with the parking spaces. I've seen people hop their cars and hang the tag. Women wearing heels or men in construction gear. Like who polices these people? Maybe that is what he should have wrote about. I mean I don't get out to the store as much, but having to park at the cart return and walk to the store is the pits.

Comment

The author is wrong on one point....

The idea that it doesn't "cost" for this service. But it does cost. I costs me $5-10 per leg to use a wheelchair, twice that around the major holidays. I pay the higher amount if the attendant/pusher is friendly and asks me if I need to stop at the restroom or to get food.

There are some who tip much more than I do, but I pay what I can afford on my budget. I don't believe I've ever seen someone not tip at all. At christmas, I tipped the attendants $20 per leg, which increased my cost to an extra $80 for the round trip.

I frankly don't really care what others think. I've stood in line for years and suffered because I have extreme pain while standing and nothing alleviates the pain (I've tried just about everything except narcotics).

I would arrive at my destination exhausted and in pain and unable to do anything for the first day or two of my trip. I'm not doing that again if I can help it.

I would give a lot to be ABLE to walk. Trail walking was my favorite exercise before MS. If I could do that, I'd gladly walk through the airport and stand in line.

Comment

I think there is a difference between a "cost" and a "charge." The airline can't charge a fee, but it certainly costs us the tip because yes, most people do tip the pusher, and that is an out of pocket cost to us who use the service.

And of course it is a cost for the airline to provide the service, even if it can't be covered by a specific charge to the disabled people who use the service.

Comment

lstrl,

I read about this last night. It IS quite shameful! I too, have read about people being mad at wheelchairs getting to go "first in line".

All I can say is this: as disabled persons WE need to take steps. What can we do? Start showing the documents (the ones we have for our handicap placards) before we sit in the wheel chair, AND make sure the person pushing the w/c is AWARE that there ARE documents to prove our disability. Additionally, we need to call the airlines and TELL them to start checking that very document, when someone requests w/c services. I realise this makes more work for us, but it IS something "pro-active" we can do to help halt this selfish act of people who have no disability.
                Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

We don't want people to judge us for having invisible symptoms, but someone wearing heels or construction gear shouldn't be judged either.

I could definitely still wear heels (not that I ever do), and if I was having a high fatigue day, I would use my placard. I only use it when I need it, or if I think it is going to wear me out to shop or do an activity at the event I'm attending. Fatigue is invisible. No one looking at me would suspect that I had MS. There are many other "invisible" diseases out there that would qualify someone for a placard, such as heart problems or breathing issues.

The only issue I have these days with handicap parking is when someone uses a handicapped spot when the clearly disabled person is still in the car - that is blatant misuse.

Comment

Your concerns are true, but who are we to judge?

If the airport accepts this, they maybe need to require a doctor's note.
                    Not all of us with MS have to be in a wheelchair 24/7.
                    It just depends for me.
                    If I have a flare-up, yes.
                    At times I can walk short distances slowly. That is not going to work at the airport if we are in a hurry to catch a flight.
                    So while it may appear that once I get there I can stand up and walk out of my wheelchair, it doesn't mean that I was lying just to get to the front of the line.

I would complain to the airlines and require that they be stricter about who gets to the front of the line.
                    That means that even if it is obvious that a person needs help, we all need to show our doctor's statement regarding our physical limitations.

Comment

I am not willing to "show my papers" to every non-medical goon at the airport and allow them to broadcast my medical details to every Tom Dick and Harry around just because of a few selfish people misusing the wheelchair service. Medical information is confidential and should remain so - which it will not when it is placed in the hands of those with no training.

My handicapped placard is likely hanging from the rear view mirror of my car where it is parked in the handicapped parking spot, so I am not sure what "documents" I would be showing to the airport authorities. The "document" I used to obtain the placard was handed in to the DMV in exchange for the placard.

The time I most needed wheelchair assistance was traveling by air from Mayo Clinic in Minnesota after brain surgery back to my home in western Washington State. I was very sick, really needed the chair, but the surgical scar was behind my hairline where no one could see it. Besides, I would not want some airline employee or wheelchair pusher inspecting a clean surgical wound with their dirty hands anyway.

There will always be situations like that (or the person with angina or bad lung disease) where it is not obvious that one "needs" a wheelchair. I would rather live with a few cheaters (karma will come around and get them eventually) than live in an environment where there is no respect for dignity and privacy.

Some times you just have to trust people. I feel sorry for those with so little ethics that they cheat about using a wheelchair. They have a real disability - one of character - and sadly, it won't be helped by a wheelchair or a cane.

Comment

Just this morning I had to think about this very issue. I was debarking from a cruise (which was a lot of fun) with my family. I was walking slow and limping a little, probably because of the heat and humidity of south Florida, and because of the distance walking from the boat to customs. I know people were passing us, but I didn't realize some one who worked there noticed my weird gait and told the porter helping with the luggage to bring us to the head of the line.

Before I even realized what was going on, our porter was getting written up by his supervisor for bringing us to the front of the line. A security guy came up to me and asked "You're disabled?" Not considering myself disabled, I answered "Well I walk a little slow but I am okay" Then my husband mentioned I had MS. The staff all turned to me and I was asked if I needed a wheelchair. I said no, because I really didn't. The porter was clearly still in trouble with his supervisor and we were getting a lot of attention from other travellers.

The security guy tapped my shoulder and said "Next time, just take the wheelchair." I know it just started with some one trying to be helpful but ended up an embarrassing mess up. I think we cleared up the porter's problem, but I'm sure he regretted helping us.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

Working...
                        X