Face and neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Face and neck

I posted awhile back about having trouble holding my head up sometimes. It is getting worse. I can be just sitting and before I know it my head is hanging to the right and sometimes now it is falling forward. I really don't realize it is doing it until I have to start rolling my eyes up to see the tv or computer or the book I am reading.

My head has been shaking and that is getting worse also. It is like a yes nodding.

My neuro sent sent me to a neuro surgeon because I do have some back issues and thought they might be causing this.

The surgeon said I wasn't using the muscles on the right side of my face like I did on my left side. He told me to go home and talk to myself and smile in front of a mirror. He was right, the right side of my mouth doesn't want to go up like the left when I smile and when I talk I can tell I am not using the muscles nearly as much on the right side.

Also my right eye is sort of droopy. I have muscle spasms all around my right eye almost constantly.

He said I didn't need back surgery. I have some bulging disks and some arthritis in my spine. He said he could tell my whole right side of my body was weaker than my left and said it was all due to MS.

Does anyone else here have any of these kind of problems with their face and neck. As I said it is getting worse and I am afraid before long I won't be able to hold my head up at all. All of this started about a year ago and has progressively got worse.

Anyone got any input on this?

Deb, you might consider going back to your neuro and bringing up what took place at your appointment with the neuro surgeon. If your neuro is helpful he could give you some suggestion.

Have you tried Physical Therapy for your neck? That might be an option.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I am going back to my neuro but couldn't get in until March 27. So I'll just have to wait until then.

Comment

I have left sided facial and tongue problems...the left side facial muscles don't move and the left side of my tongue doesn't cooperate and move normally. The muscles under my eye sort of quiver, and when I try to talk too much, or open my mouth the muscles around my mouth will quiver too. It's pretty evident when I talk. I can move the muscles above my eye (in my forehead) but those are the only muscles on that side of my face I can move.

I take anti-spasticity meds, and a small dose of a benzo (klonopin), and that seems to keep my speech intelligible (but there are times it's pretty garbled.)

I also have assymetry in my neck muscles, one side of my neck looks completely different (as far as muscle tone and definition) than the other side.

All this is linked to a lesion that affects the lower cranial nerves.

As to my head, mine doesn't droop usually, but sometimes I'll doze off while sitting up and my head is resting on my right shoulder...so it actually leans away from the side of the facial paralysis...never talked to a neuro about it, so I have no idea what that means.

I have had these problems for many years, and they have gradually progressed... I can remember the neuro who diagnosed me asking me if I knew I had a speech impediment (she felt it was neuro related, and she was right) but I was surprised she picked up on it, because back then (over 10 years ago) I could tell it was off, but didn't think anyone else could.

Hope you get some answers from your neuro.

Comment

Late post but this sounds like MG

I know this was years ago and you may have already solved your problem. I just wanted to say that it sounded exactly like Myasthenia Gravis and you should get tested for it. It causes droopy eyelid, problems keeping head up, weakness, ect.

Comment

I had an episode a few weeks ago where my head dropped forward and was too heavy to lift. I would manage to lift it only to have the heaviness of it flop forward again.
            When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

i don't know about your neck weakness or shaking, but can relate to one-sided facial weaknes. my first relapse was misdx as bell's palsy. the left side of my face was paralyzed - my dh thought i was having a stroke. i had intense pain in my neck, which no one could explain. this pain came/ went for several years. i would wear a soft neck brace and took ibuprofen for it. if the pain was really bad only damp heat helped.

i was given oral steroids at the time, and halleluia, my facial muscles returned 6 weeks later. i wasn't dx for 6 more years. now i know the neck pain is a muscle spasm, but my head does not move.

i would definitely see your neuro and check into physical therapy. seek out a neuro pt.

i hope you find answers.
              Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
              X