MS on The Young and the Restless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS on The Young and the Restless

Has this been posted here yet? I can't believe it but Nikki was diagnosed with RRMS! She explained it to Jack and covered it briefly but ok, imo.

I doubt they will attempt to show the ugly side of this miserable disease so I'm kind of torn about the value. I wonder if MS has touched one of the staff and that is why they are highlighting it. That show often covers positive messages about social problems.

In any event I guess any publicity is good publicity and might result in awareness and more money for research. I hope.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Yes There is another thread

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=124992

Comment

Maybe she can have a bladder infection.

Make her look tolerable: offend those in worse shape

Make her look miserable: offend those in better shape

There is no single picture of MS (or cancer or traffic accidents). They might have her explain it, but it would also do us no favors to have her become instantly disabled.

Comment

"Maybe she can have a bladder infection.". Ha

I agree. MS is so complex. We shall see which direction they take with this storyline.

I used to watch the show, but the new writers have taken the show in a more serious and IMO boring direction. Dementia, bipolar disorder, bullying, opiate addiction, ...

Comment

I still love that show but agree that no matter how they twist this story line I'm sure we will have something to say about it.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Nah, not a bladder infection. This is Nikki we're talking about, and that would be too, well bladdery.

If the actress wants to stay on the show, I predict mild paralysis, a spell in hospital, a marvellous recovery and a dmd, and not much more said about it until the actress wants a holiday, then a convenient relapse.

Comment

Y&R

I had knee surgery and was bedridden for a month. I have never watch soaps. But got hooked on this one. Ended up watching it for several years. I finally broke away but dip back in every now and then to see what has been happening.

That certainly is a turn of events.

I am trying to learn Spanish so I have been watching Spanish soaps since they are so much more expressive.

My Arth. doc gave me one to three years on my knee before I would have to have it operated on again. It's been eight. This past month it popped and I am back in non-MS pain and am probably will have to have surgery again this year. So...perhaps I will get back into the Y&R again to see how they handle MS.

Thanks for the post.
              Dave, Tampa, FL
              "Journeyman"

Comment

One of the actors, I can't remember his name, has a family member with MS. I believe it was his mother and he was a spokesperson for the NMSS. Maybe he suggested it as a storyline.

Comment

I was upset at first because I was coming to terms somewhat with MS and now Nikki (who I've watched for years had to go put in my face even more). Now it's the calls -is this what you have? or why you don't looks like her? So now my answer is just watch the show if you have questions. Hopefully they will take down some like most of us and not make it glamorous because she has money for better treatment. She did make a good point. "I just want to be treated as usual"

Comment

tvguide.com has an interview with the actress about her on-tv dx of MS. Their intention is to show the varying course of the disease, that it is not a death sentence, etc.

She mentions that there is a girl on the set that has MS, and that she ("Nikki") never even noticed that anything was wrong with her. So, I suspect it may be a sugar-coated, "see, this isn't so bad, after all" approach to the disease.

However, the actress also states that you never know when someone gets killed off!
                    20+ years of sx - no dx yet - getting close!

Comment

The National MS Society is partners with CBS, Young and The Restless, Sharon Osbourne and her son to promote MS Awareness Through Public Sevice Announcements(PSA)

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/new....aspx?nid=7383
                      Diagnosed 1984
                      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I like that they have touched on so many social issues and also guessed that someone related to the show has MS.

Shemar Moore's Mom has MS and he used to be on Y&R. Is there someone else also?
                        Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                        X