Surgery coming up Tuesday and in MS Flare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surgery coming up Tuesday and in MS Flare

I have major scoliosis correction surgery on the 26th. I started having major tremors and spasticity, which is new for me on Feb 1. Figured I would pay my neruo a visit. He thinks its an exacerbation and due to the violent nature of my spasms he wants to do IV Steroids to see if that will help. We don't think a violent spasm will feel to good with newly implanted rods and screws! He scheduled another MRI to see if new lesion is there. I am wondering how all of this is going to play out. Anyone have major surgery and MS?
    Tiffany
    Dx. Nov. 2012 RRMS

I place it in God's hands

Hi T1ffEst

Welcome...sounds scary, I hope the steroids alleviate your tremors and spasticity...If it is a exacerbation the steroids should do the trick ..

I had 3 C-sections before I was officially dx but not before I had symptoms....I was not experiencing a 'flare up' at the time.

Hope things work out for you and your scoloisis surgery..Take care
    Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Ask your surgeon and get his thoughts on this.

1) having surgery with these symptoms
      2) How long before surgery you are 'allowed' to take steroids?

It would seem to me, you would want to resolve the issues of tremors and spasticity. The tremors would affect your post-op pain levels and perhaps the ability to heal.

Hope this is helpful? Fed

Comment

I've had 4 surgeries since diagnosis, but never while I was in a flare.

I can't remember going into a flare after any of the surgeries, but it did seem my recovery was slower with each subsequent surgery.

The only thing that freaked me out about surgery was a couple of times I've had anesthesiologists explain to me before the surgery, that I might wake up with a vent, but if so it was only temporary. Can't remember the explanation, but something about coming out of the anesthetic I think. Anyhoo...it never happened, and some of my surgeries were long 5 hour type.

I'd check with my neuro and have the surgeon and the neuro communicate on what your best options are.

Comment

Working...
        X