How did you feel the first time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did you feel the first time?

Ok so my doctor is suggesting I use a cane until I am feeling better. I don't know how I feel about this or I do but I don't want to sound insensative to my friends on here who have to use them or more all the time.

I am a 35 year old mother with 3 small children. I also run the daycare at my church. I am worried what other people will think. I know I shouldn't but I do because most of the people I see on a daily basis don't even know I have MS.

I guess I know in my mind it is only temporary for now and that life will go on but I can't help feel down on myself about it.

Sorry for being a debbie downer but I don't have anyone to talk to about this, I mentioned it to my mom and she about fell out of her chair. I haven't told my husband yet so I can only imagine what he will say.

Sorry again !

Lisa, first of all it's not your fault that a cane was suggested so there's no need to be down on your self. My first time useing a cane was really no big deal. I don't think I even got any comments about lt. It's kind of ego deflating but most people really don't care. Useing a cane is much better than a fall where a significant injuries are possible. Take care of your self. Dale
    Dale in NC, dx'ed 2000, now SPMS

Comment

Hi, you could say that you hurt your leg and need to use it until you heal......I told people that one year when I was always limping and no one knew.
      dx 2002 rebif 2002-2013 Tecfidera 2013

Comment

Originally posted by tracibk View Post
        Hi, you could say that you hurt your leg and need to use it until you heal......I told people that one year when I was always limping and no one knew.
        I did the same thing. I was working in a highly public place (library) and many knew me, but not my circumstances. My leg was hurting, so there was no lie involved.

And please don't think that you are a "debbie downer" here - OK? It's just one of your concerns and it is a legitimate concern. Just think of the cane as a temporary tool. that's all. If you had a broken leg, the tool would be a cast or crutches, right?

I sincerely hope that you will feel better soon.
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

keeps us up

My feeling about using the cane is

a) I use it when I have to. That comes and goes, so it is not all of the time. benefit: people stop asking how I am doing- when I have the cane they know to not ask

b) I teach middle school. It is IMPOSSIBLE to walk the hall with them b/c they cannot walk a straight line without running into me or others. The cane is critical then.

c) When I feel wobbly, and I ignore that symptom, and do not use the cane, I tend to fly in to 'free spin vertigo' so my body goes flying across the hall or parking lot or restaurant. This just gets ugly and looks much worse than using the cane.

d) If I use the cane when I am wobbly/dizzy, then the cane gives me support, and I rest better at night, and am more likely to need less time with the cane. When I tried to go without in the beginning, my wobbly/cane requiring time was more days.

Good luck. Use Humor, Decorate it.... that is what I do. It is a game with the students and other teachers to see what I will focus on for my decorations. One called me a cane diva. hahaha I love that. Right now I have made a bright orange sleeve with small basketball on it for varsity attempting to win the basketball championship. whoo hooo
          You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

I bought a stilish cane that makes me look cool.

Comment

I "gave in" to using a cane about a year ago. I probably should have started using it at least a year before that. Hubby calls me a stubborn Swede. lol

Talking (and falling) myself into using the cane WAS a big deal. So, if you can get beyond the mental picture you have of yourself using a cane - you should probably use one. And your dr advised you too ...

I promise, it will get easier and more comfortable to see yourself with a cane once you start using one.
              Karen

Comment

When it was first suggested I use a cane, I did NOT want to even consider it...

Fast forward.... and after falling, tearing a rotor cuff and in need of surgery, not to mentionout of control diabetes and a new GP...I was barely able to enter his office under my own power, he said use a walker.. I responded I had a cane and did not use it,, he yelled back USE IT. I had used canes off and on ONLY when I really needed one.

When others asked, I simply told the truth, "docs orders". Its simple and not even a white lie.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Well, have to say kind of missed the cane phase and really need the wheelie walker. I am hopeless, and don't have one.

It's not embarrassment - could not give a fat rat's - more a not wanting to upset the family.

Lord knows why I think they aren't more upset to see me staggering about.

Comment

Thanks everyone...

I am getting one today. After reading your stories and also being told that I may recover quicker from this if I am not waisting so much energry just trying to stay balanced I am gonna get one.

My family will just have to get used to the idea. This is my husband saying you know we are supposed to bowl saturday, you can't bowl with a cane. DUH! Maybe if I use it at least around the house I will feel better enough to not need it by the weekend if my steriods do their job!

Fingers crossed!

Comment

I couldn't move without my cane for balance.
                      I refused to use a medical cane, so I got one with a customized carved dog head that looks exactly like our beloved pet we had to put down last year.

I really don't care what people think, I do what is best fior me.
                      You do not need to apologize.

Comment

Working...
                      X