Infections-Exacerbation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Infections-Exacerbation?

I hardly ever get sick, despite being around small children in schools several days per week. Lots of hand sanitizer Yesterday it became apparent that I'd actually caught something. I generally feel so bleh that it seems weird to feel bad because of an actual illness. Bear in mind that for at least 7 years I've been told that my lack of energy and aches and pains were fibromyalgia.

I thought it was just a cold but overnight it has gotten much worse. Now my arms and legs feel like lead and my numb side feels even less sensitive. The numb side of my face is also tingling and I'm having more annoying muscle twitches. Then, I had a muscle spasm in my leg. It was brief. So no new symptoms, just worsening of what I've already got.

Do infections regularly cause exacerbations of old symptoms?
    CIS DX 2013

ms382012 an illness certainly can cause symptoms to get worse. Particularly if it causes an elevation in temperature. Many neurologists won't consider this a flare if the sxs are related a concurrent illness. Hope this passes quickly and you start feeling better. Take care of yourself Dale
    Dale in NC, dx'ed 2000, now SPMS

Comment

My neuro says yes! I am battling a relapse right now and they say it is from the flu I had last week. This is the worst I have ever felt and some of the symptoms are new. I would def. call your doctor!

Comment

Infections, viruses and the flu can cause Pseudo-Exacerbation. A pseudo-exacerbation is not a "real" exacerbation.

Pseudo-exacerbations are self-limiting. When the infection, virus or flu resolves usually the increase in MS symptoms will also resolve, letting symptoms go back to what is normal for that person.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Whenever I get sick with a cold or flu, my sx worsen. When I've had to have surgery my sx worsen. It seems that when anything is going on physically, outside the realm of MS, it makes my MS and Fibromyalgia sx worse.
          Crystal

Success is a journey, not a destination

Comment

Working...
          X