Pain in legs anyone else tried weights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pain in legs anyone else tried weights?

I have RRMS and was curious if anyone has tried ankle weights to help with the pain? Today at work my legs and feet were hurting so bad I was in tears. It felt like my ankles couldn't support me anymore does that make sense? Has anyone else had this type of pain? If so what helps you? I was thinking maybe I could trick my mind and my ankles to become stronger with ankle weights... Am I making any sense lol thank you for your support

Sorry about your pain...I personally don't think weights would help...but you could ask a PT.

As to meds, pain is probably either caused by spasticity or it's neuropathic pain. If it's spasticity (feels tight, aches, feels heavy and restrictive) then an anti-spasticity might help...if it's burning, like your legs are on fire, then there are several drugs for that Neurontin, Lyrica, Elavil, etc.

Discuss it with your neuro...soon. You shouldn't have to live with pain when there are meds that help. They may not take the pain completely away, but at least bring it down to a level that you can deal with.

Hope you find something that works.

Comment

Is it pain from nerves or from muscle tightness? If it's muscle tightness, I've had some good luck with stretching. Don't try weights first! You don't want to destablize yourself further. Honestly, my first step would probably to call doc and ask for PT script. If not, easy stretching lying down. You don't want to fall!

Comment

I usually have bi-lateral leg pain. There are medications that can be tried.

Non-medication options:

An electric blanket wrapped around the leg(s). If heat sensitive use caution the first time to see if the heat will negatively affect you.

Some find massage to be helpful.

Exercise can sometimes be helpful for pain.

I do have ankle weights but have never tried them for pain. I do use a weight a weight machine and leg press 220 pounds. This has actually decreased my pain in general.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thank you all for your help and suggestions! They are very appreciated!

Comment

Working...
          X