Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some advice on back pain

Hi,
    My husband has RRMS and has been diagnosed since 2004. He's been new lesion free since starting Tysabri about 6 years now. Anyway, his biggest problem is severe back pain and burning into his buttocks. He had nerve ablation done about 4 weeks ago but is still in pain.
    Anyone have this problem and what was your biggest help. Thanks!
    Husband Dx'd in 2006. Currently on Tysabri, Gabapentin, Ampyra, Baclofen..

Hi duckfan,

I've had a severe backache for 2 years, just like your hubby, it goes into the buttock, hips, etc.

I was recently prescribed Lyrica 75 mg 3x a day. It's the first time I get some relief. I used to be on narcotics and they did nothing. Lyrica addresses neurological pain and it works.

It may be worth a try for you hubby.

Hope he feels better soon!
    When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Thanks CaroleE. He takes Neurotin and that's supposed to be like Lyrica. Do you find it hard to sit because of the butt pain? He doesn't walk very well and can't sit for very long which drives him to bed by the afternoon.

Comment

Yes duckfan, I do. I'm mostly in bed all day because I can't walk. I get in my wheelchair every few hour but I can't sit more than about 1/2 hour because it hurts.

My buttocks, tailbone and lower back hurt while sitting.
        When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Sorry for all your hubby is enduring. But do not think all pain is MS related.

I would recommend he get an xray/MRI of his spine. You'd be surprised how disc disease, esp lumbar causes that pain over buttocks, hip, down leg. He could get relief from a good chiropractor too or orthopedic doc. Chiro's have gentle ways to get sublaxted discs back in shape and unpinch those nerves. Mine uses "B.E.S.T" technique.. not the crack your bones kind.

Hope he gets a thorough explanation and nothing is missed. Hope too he get relief and soon! My chiro saved my ability to walk several decades ago.

Jan
          I believe in miracles~!
          2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
          Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

My husband has had a MRI of his lower spine by a Orthapedic Surgeon. He said he has some arthritis and some degenerative disc disease but it's not bad. They tried the nerve ablation but it hasn't helped.
            He has a prescription for Tramadol but he's afraid to use it to often after he found out it was a narcotic.

The constantly burning buttocks is stopping him from enjoying driving anywhere. This limits his social life and I'm afraid he'll get depressed staying home so much. Other than the back pain and burning his MS is stable.

Comment

Aawww... poor thing. Could he get an epidural in his spine to stop the pain? Or Baclofen pump? I had epidurals and the pain stopped right away. Just didn't last more than a month..but relief.

Now that I am on RX Diclofenac (strong anti inflammatory, slow release over 12 hours) along with oral Baclofen it seems to control my pain and spasms pretty well. Otherwise I could not sit at all!

Docs usually don't know about Diclofenac but Orthopedic started me on it. AND my MS hug is gone too as a result of this combo.

Hope he gets relief and soon~

Jan
              I believe in miracles~!

Comment

+1 for Diclofenac
                1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
                NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Thanks for the info. I've never heard of that medicine but I'll look into it. He needs some help.

Comment

What? Not bad by the doc w/ out the pain!! Tell not to afraid of RX Tramodol when you use it as prescribed for short periods. And don't forget gentle chiropractor..they are amazing for pain relief. Good luck
                    Jan
                    I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Update. My husband is on Voltaren but he uses the topical cream. He also started taking one of the Tramadol in the morning and he said his pain is better.

This seems to be the MS way. Just when you think hope is lost and pain is the only reality, it gets better. He's walking better too. I'm just grateful for even one day when he's able to enjoy his life. Hopefully, today will be good too.

Comment

I started doing yoga and it helped most of my back pain.

Comment

Working...
                        X